Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For $20, Autozone has a brand new replacement blower for my '70 w/ A/C... but it has only one (power) terminal. I believe it is a permanent magnet motor design and has higher output velocity.

For anyone with experience with this blower, how did you do the grounding and how was the A/C fitment?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I bought the same Siemens blower motor for my '69 non-A/C from Autozone. I don't know if the A/C version is different, but I believe (I'm out on a job right now so I can't look) there's only one wire in my car and one terminal on the motor. It's grounded through the screws that hold it to the firewall and doesn't have a separate ground wire, just like most electrical components in cars.

It fits well and works great, the only thing (if you're concerned with that) is that it doesn't look exactly like the original.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Non A/C cars ground through the steel housing. A/C cars use a fiberglass housing and have a seperate ground wire. There is a brass terminal bent 90 degrees that screws to the blower motor. The hole for the screw is at the five o'clock position and is a smaller diameter than the mounting holes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Non A/C cars ground through the steel housing. A/C cars use a fiberglass housing and have a seperate ground wire. There is a brass terminal bent 90 degrees that screws to the blower motor. The hole for the screw is at the five o'clock position and is a smaller diameter than the mounting holes.
x2:yes:. just changed one from az same part #only bad thing the 1st one lasted 6mo if that they replace it so ill try agian :hurray:

·
Registered
146 Posts
tony the air flow is fine here in fla in 95 plus heat car stays about 72 inside and it seems this blower motor is pushing more air on max or it maybe me just wishing lol

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Olle and Ed...

Was it a noticable improvement in air flow from a stock fan?
The stock motor was quite anemic compared with the new one, so it was a tremendous improvement. But I'd say that this was mostly due to it's old age, not to a technical difference in the motors. I don't know how it would compare to a new OEM motor and it's not as good as in a modern car, but it sure does a good job.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay guys, thanks. sbvelleman: I can't even see the blower yet but is the 90* brass grounding terminal removable and just screw into the new housing and that's it? Got my new M&H A/C harness today. Purple wire has round rubber-covered connector that mates perfectly with the new blower :hurray: What clocking will this power plug have? Black ground wire is typical single Packard plastic connector. When I trace it back near the A/C relay, it "grounds" to a bolt (top right corner) shared with the fiberglass evaporator. Is that correct? I see no other holes in the firewall as possible grounds.

I have a new gasket for it too. Any clearance issues with the blower cage and will dropping the rear portion of the fenderwell be enough to get it in??

·
Registered
146 Posts
your best off dropping the hole well from the fender . the ground wire is on the new h/m harnes and grounds thru that i have no grd wire goning to a stud .

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I posted some photos of the motor with the brass grounding terminal so you can actually see what I'm talking about. I converted my '70 from heat only to factory A/C. I have several photos of the firewall from different factory A/C chevelles and the wire is grounded by a seperate screw. The screws location is midway between the top right corner screw ( the one where yours is grounded ) and the screw for the plastic wiring gutter. On my firewall there was a dimple where the screw goes. Maybe someone else with an original factory A/C car can chime in with a measurement. Btw that wire is spliced in the harness and also supplies a ground for the A/C relay. I would drop the wheelwell to change the motor it a lot less aggravating.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Extremely helpful sbvelleman. For good measure ,I'll stick a star washer on that ground too. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
x2:yes:. just changed one from az same part #only bad thing the 1st one lasted 6mo if that they replace it so ill try agian :hurray:
ok took the car out last night and the new one lasted 45 min started off great real good flow and then the burnt electric smell came and started slowing down to we just rolled down the windows. dont understand this are they just junk and thats why they are 20$ or is there somthing i need to look for in the a/c wireing .or does someone make a good one for more money :sad:

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WTH!! You'd think the VDO brand (or is it just a rubber stamp these days) means better quality. However, I can't believe there are too many OEMs out there making these things... no matter what the "brand".

Besides your R&R time, is Autozone living up to the Limited Lifetime Warranty?

·
Registered
146 Posts
WTH!! You'd think the VDO brand (or is it just a rubber stamp these days) means better quality. However, I can't believe there are too many OEMs out there making these things... no matter what the "brand".

Besides your R&R time, is Autozone living up to the Limited Lifetime Warranty?
tell me about it didn't like doing it the first time never mind the 2nd time . AZ did replace it and i am sure they will again but i work for a chevy dealer and going to check on acdelco i have part #15-87 see if i can get one yet if not i guess take 3 and see were that leads

1 - 17 of 17 Posts