Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found out why it always felt like I was sliding off the bench seat when driving my -69. The left side support spring is broken, and I found a replacement spring at Year One. Now, the description for it says that "professional installation is recommended". I'm going to recover the whole seat, so it should be easy to get to it. I can't see why replacing that spring would be a big deal, but I thought I better ask before I start working on it. Has anyone done this?

BTW, would you recommend replacing any other springs? As far as I can see, this is the only one that's broken, but I figure that it might be a good idea to replace a few (at least on the driver's side) just because of the age. I have recovered seats before, but any pointers will be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Professional installation, why yes, by all means. Spend at least $100 to get them installed.

I'm kidding. Mine were broke too on my 70 Bench seat. I salvaged another seat just for those springs. Oh, it was a 70 Pontiac Leman's seat which uses the same bottom section. The backrests were different, and I needs a drivers side backrest spring, so I scrounged another seat fo cheap.

If I remember right you do need to force the ends into the frame of the seat under pressure. Put some safety glasses on, in case it pops off.

I was redoing my seats so this was part of the whole resto I did myself. Looking back on it I think I should have doubled up on the springs (maybe needed a tac welded second bracket) or maybe used more hog-rings to tie it together, because they just aren't that strong to begin with.

The upholstry shop I went to for extra hog-rings sometimes uses a section of brake line tubing to span or join a broken spring if they can't get replacements. They braze or solder the joint and wrap it in tape.

Nobody will see it, and it will last a long time. Fortunately I was practically given the 2nd and 3rd seat.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Springs are made of "spring steel" and will not hold a weld for very long.
To add the new spring, you will need some new BW clips. I didn't see them in the link. BW clips are paper lined to prevent any squeaking. Any upholstery shop should have them cheap and pick up some hog rings at the same time.

A pair of pliers will work to crimp them together with the frame unit. There are special tools for this, but pliers work fine. ;)

You don't have to be a professional to do this job. It is pretty straight forward. If in doubt take pictures of the dis-assembly, then you will be able to see what it was like originally.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by DG:
Professional installation, why yes, by all means. Spend at least $100 to get them installed.
I think I'll install them professionally myself then, and spend the $100 on the beer I'll need to complete the job :D I was afraid that I would need some special tool to do this, but I guess I'm fine.

I did a search on the subject the other day, and I think you posted something about redoing the seat with used springs from the passenger side of another seat, plus that brake line trick. Not sure about repairing the springs though. Even if I could save a few bucks, I would just hate for it to break again after I get the new cover on.

And Dot, I'll se if I can find the BW clips. Don't have a clue what that is yet, but I'll check it when I take it apart. The digital camera will sure come in handy, have already taken pix of the bottom of the seat and where the hog rings go.

Thanks for the replies, I'll post pix when I'm done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts