Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that these weren't factory for a chevelle, but I was wondering has anyone seen the old thrush side pipes around. I am looking for a set to bolt on the sides of my 68. I found 2 sets in the last 5 years of going to carlisle fairgrounds in PA. And they weren't worth the aggravation. So , I am still looking. I sure wish they still made those. Do you think they will bring them back?
Any comments would be greatly appreicated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Crews1968, back in 1968 a friend of mine had a brand new 1969 Chevelle SS 396, the first thing he did was put on sidepipes and covers that were an option for the 1968 Corvette. They looked great and everything bolted up, just unbolt your exhaust and bolt the vette pipes right on. Another good thing is that there a plenty of pipes and covers around or you can still order them from chevy or any corvette supplier. Hope this helps.

------------------
BILL TIRELLI TEAM CHEVELLE MEMBER#280 1969 BLK CHEVELLE SS396 375HP 4SP 410 POSI
STATEN ISLAND NY

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't say i have any but try mailling an exhaust company and see. maybe they will do some research and market it.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU

Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/

Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

·
Registered
948 Posts
Have you tried Mooneyes? They are on the web. They still carry sidepipes & glasspacks. Go to www.mooneyes.com & see if they have any.
------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
surferwagons.8m.com

[This message has been edited by SoCalRat (edited 10-13-99).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
In an old musclecar mag with an article from 69, there is an article on a 68 phase III 427 motion chevelle, equipped with, you guessed it, the side pipes! Car also had american torque thrusts with redline tires, looked awesome! Mag was called "musclecars" and I used to buy them in the mid 80s, had all articles from the late 60s-mid 70s, and was great..showed the editors beating the hell out of every car they were given when they were brand new.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
740 Posts
Never even thought about putting side pipes on a chevelle but thinking about it seems like it would be REALLY cool if you get it done post pics so we cal call see

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have often thought of replacing my ralley wheels with cragers, red lines & installing side pipes for that "retro look" My friends said "thats sic" Glad to know I am not alone. Any pictures anyone?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well here's my .02 from experience! I have Hooker side pipes on my 65 Vette and although they look great they are very loud (which gets old quickly) and I still have a burn on my leg from just barely touching them two weeks ago. Any time you take someone for a ride in your car you have to remind them every time they get in or out of the car to "watch out for that pipe!" I tolerate them on the Vette but I would never put them on my Chevelle. Just my .02

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I have a 69SS I was lost in Boston one day pulled over for directions. The guy who was there giving me directions raved about how my car looked just like the one he had years ago when he was down south . He kept saying the car could of been his but his had side pipes . I was under it a while later and noticed some welds on the frame like some one had cut off some sidepipe brackets wish I had talked to him some more Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
this bedazzles me, side pipes on a chevelle? don't think, no i know, i would not like this, sorry! vette's yes chevelles?

------------------

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys......I have a real good idea. I have a pic from my fathers 68 chevelle with those old thrush side pipes. You wanna talk about awesome lookin......just give me advice on how to post pics on here, and I will show you guys how good a chevelle becomes when sidepipes are mounted. Speaking of which, the sidepipes on my fathers chevelle back in 1974 are the pipes I am looking for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have to agree with Tom H. Go for what cha know. Besides, Side pipes are cool. I also have a '68 and was thinking about sidepipes also. My buddy thinks I'm crazy, but, dare to be different.
J C Whitney used to sell them, they had the four-in-to-one with a 2" inlet and a 3" inlet.

G

·
Man I have a great story about Hooker chrome side pipes, a 69 vette, and somewhat tipsy good looking babe!

This was years ago when drinking and driving was looked on as a sport. We had been out and drinking and the young lady needed to whiz so she told me to pull over, jumped out and pulled down her pants an squated beside the open car door. You guessed it, burned a spot on her ass from those red hot pipes that is there today. It's funny today but not so funny when it happened.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would guess that it wasn't so much that Motion liked them, but that their customers did. Seems like they were all about visibility and image and that's part of the thing about sidepipes. You don't NEED 'em, but then you don't NEED 4.33 gears and a tunnel ram either!
BTW, anyone remember the magazine from the 80s that ran a great story on Motion cars? It was called Cars Illustrated, I think. It had some great articles with pictures of guys actually street racing. They had all kinds of ballsy street cars. Once they printed a guy's car because it had a blower and he accepted the challenge to drive it all around town and then to the track where it proceeded to lay down some impressive times. Naturally, it was a Chevelle. A maroon '66 with flames and no hood. Ring any bells?

Doh, I just got off topic!

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dynomax sells 'em for about $200/pair. Check them out in the JEG's catalog. I'm seriously considering a pair for the SuperBee I'm going to build (some day). If sidepipes look good on a Cobra or Vette, they'll look good on an early model (pre-68) Chevelle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.