Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I need a greater mind than mine. My 69 Chevelle has been running great. I go on vacation for two weeks, return home to start her up and warm the engine. It cranks up fine, but as I am feathering the accelerator, it just shuts down! I have not even got power to the thing at all! The radio light will not even come on. I guess it might be a short somewhere? Any help or advice you could give would be most appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Check the battery for voltage.
Check the battery hot and ground leads for bad/corroded connections and/or rodent damage or shorts from vibration against metal (after all it did start, then quit).
I suspect the Battery cable connections. Check the large red wire from the battery to the voltage regulator or check at the fuse block for power. Check the connector at the firewall be sure it is clean and well connected. Check your grounds from engine to firewall and body to frame.Check your ignition switch connections and the switch itself.
All in that order.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over? - - - -Do things the way you like em, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I will post the problem for everyones benefit when I locate the culprit. Thanks again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Don,
I was working on a friends car the other day that this happened to. Didn't even have head lights. It turned out to be the hot wire from the batter to the starter had came loose and was shorting out on the engine someplace. The way I found it was to turn the ignition to the on postion and turn the wipers on. I moved the wires around under the hood until they came on. I would recommend 2 people, but I didnt have that luxery. 283V8 has a good suggestion too though. Email me if I can help you out at all. Good luck man.

--Jerry--

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.