Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried really hard to do it myself without any help, went off of wes vanns page. Ok, i hooked it up just like it said on the web page, the gauge (factory gauges) read below half when just turning key on, then after starting went over to charge, everything seems ok now. Let it run for a little bit and it went from about 3/4s or a little under to just over 1/2. Turned the car off and it wouldnt start. This is after charging the battery for two hours @10 amps. The batt wasnt fully charged but good enough to crank that BB very easily.

Now a couple ?s.... do i have a bad battery? its a 1000cca from sams 1-1/2 years old.

After reading the mad page and the sensing wire, do i have one the way its hooked up or do i need to add one? and if i do need to add it where exactly does it go?

another unrelated ? i have factory gauges and the temp doesnt work anymore. I thought it was the sending unit but i just changed that tonight and that wasnt it. I checked the current at the gauge and the hot was hot and the other one was dim on my light (correct) the only prob i can see is the other side of the little white flat bar (dont know what its called) has no power, is this right and if not can i get another one? THANKS a bunch guys for the help in advance, youve never let me down!!! CHRIS

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Check the battery voltage when running and then turn on the high beams and check it again. The meter is an ammeter and if it was showing positive then that means the alternator was charging the battery but you never know. Reading with a voltmeter is the better way to troubleshoot. You should have over 14V idling and probably 13.5V with the lights on.

The sense wire is the wire you tied to the main post on the back of the alternator. If you're running a basically stock electrical configuration then this will work. If you add any large electrical loads you should upgrade the wires from the battery to horn relay and horn relay to alternator to heavier wires. Then, connect the wire you tied to the Bat post on the alternator to the horn relay instead. The heavier electrical loads connect to the horn relay too.

Peter

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok im electrically stupid so let me see if i understand you. The factory red wire that hooks up to the back of the alt is the sense wire? after looking at mad's site it looks like they used a brown wire from the #1 term to the power block (in my case the horn relay?) and this is the sense wire? I have the original blue alt wire hooked up here and the brown/blue wires jumped at the old volt reg. Is this the sensing?

Also do you have any thoughts on the temp gauge problem? thanks again...CHRIS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts