Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about the conversion in the archives and it looks real straight ahead but as I have an SS dash with the gauge package I was worried about the amp gauge as posts lately have been mentioning fires caused by faulty units! Is there a way to test an amp gauge and if not is there any sort of a protection circuit I can wire in to stave off any problems?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The stock amp guage actually is a voltmeter that reads the drop voltage across a piece of wire at the rad support. So, the high current wire does not run to it and high current is not running through it.

If you wanted to protect it against shorts you could probably put 0.5A or 1A fuses into the wires at the firewall connection points.

The problem with aftermarket ones is that all the current flows through them and if one of the wires shorts to ground you've generally got a unfused 10awg wire that's capable of probably 200-300A and it will get extremely hot to the point it will burn anything around it.

The problem you could have is pegging it and damaging the movement because the new alternator has the capability of cranking out more current than the guage can read.

Peter

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PeterF- Sounds like good news/bad news and maybe I had best go with a 63 amp alt if I want to retain my gauge functionality! What do you think?
Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The factory gauge will work fine with a high amp alternator. My 65 has a 100 amp plus alternator and the factory amp gauge works great. As was stated before, the factory ammeter is actually a voltmeter that measures change over a section of wire. It is not the same as an ammeter that takes all of the current output across it's leads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts