Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to put an alternator upgrade page onto my website and have come across some conflicting info.

Car Craft - June '99 article has this wiring schematic.

While, our own tech reference has this wiring schematic.

The difference in the two is if the white wire should be connected to the red wire (orange & yellow in the case of the tech reference guide). Then the tech reference has the #2 terminal on the SI alt. connected to the BAT terminal as opposed to the Car Craft schematic.

Is this just a case of one schematic showing how to wire up a one wire approach vs. a multi wire with generator light hook up??

Joe

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
I've done them like the car craft diagram
except it has the color code backwards on the battery and horn relay, they show black= + and red= -

wonder why they did that :confused:

I noticed on your site
NO PHOTOS, TEXT AND/OR CONTENT USED THROUGHOUT THIS PAGE MAY BE REPRODUCED, TRANSMIITED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNER
I see you used my picture without asking though (not that I care)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Dean:

I noticed on your site
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
NO PHOTOS, TEXT AND/OR CONTENT USED THROUGHOUT THIS PAGE MAY BE REPRODUCED, TRANSMIITED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNER
I see you used my picture without asking though (not that I care)
</font>[/QUOTE]Good catch Dean. I thought I had contacted everyone for permission about borrowed photos...I guess not! So, with your permission I would like to ask for permission to use the starter instruction jpgs :D If I don't get it, I guess I'll be one foot in purgatory when I get to talk to St. Peter. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
They both do basically the same thing.

The outside wires jumpered on the regulator plug connect the light up to terminal #1. The inside wires jumpered are connecting battery power to terminal #2.

There are many ways to do it. Basically, you want to conect the wire from the light to terminal #1 on the alternator and you want to connect battery power to terminal #2 of the alternator. There are many variations on this that include using the old regulator plug and removing the old regulator plug so it's not just a 1-way is the only way type deal.

Go to the MAD site and read the tech on remote voltage sensing to understand why you'd want to connect terminal #2 to the main junction block instead of just to the back of the alternator.

Both are connecting a 3-wire alternator.

Do you want to do a troubleshooting write-up for the old external regulator circuit? This is directed to both Joe and Dean. I can get an explanation and a picture of the circuit if you want to make a page out of it.

Let me know if I can help further with the info. I'll be unavailable for 2 weeks starting Saturday but I can help after that.

Peter

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peter,
Thanks for the good read on the Mad electrical page.

Basically, what I want to do is make a page like Wes did in the Tech Reference file. A lot of folks don't know his write up is there and I would link to it (maybe :confused: ) and also show them how I did it on my car.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts