Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing an existing plastic bathtub / shower. Any suggestions or tips to remove it and then install another one? It is very cheaply made and I want to replace it with a better quality unit. Any suggestions for suppliers which have nice units?
Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
The ones I've seen are secured to framing (studs) with a flange then sheet rock (or tile) covers the flange. I would think Sawsall!!!!! Then you rock the opening and install your new stuff. I've also seen the new "Instant" tub/shower renewal that just 'covers' the old one (Re-bath). Never seen one installed though. Some of them look like marble, etc. Nice in pictures anyway. Just be careful with the saw, pipes and all..............

·
Registered
848 Posts
it depends on what you want to replace it with. Is the one you have now a 3-4 piece unit or just tub? most units tha have the walls with the tub are glued in place over the tub lip. If you don't care about saving the tub, sawsall is the easiest. just be careful about cutting too deep and cutting pipes or wires in the wall behind or in the floor. most of the time you will want to replace the suround with new cement board or green board anyway.
We replaced the whole bathroom when we redid it in our old house. we installed a cast iron tub and tiled the walls. we like the feel of something more sturdy than plastic/fiberglass.
more people are installing a shower instead of a tub. just make sure you have at least one tub in the house for resale, the realtors say that's still a must for families with small kids.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I did both of mine about a year ago on a 20 year old house. Sawsall worked great, just be careful around your fixtures and it's probably fiberglass which you have to be careful about getting on you and in you. I would sink some 1/2 exploratory holes in various places just to make sure you don't have anything funky, or electrical, behind it. I agree to spend a little money and put it a cast iron tub, greenboard/hardybacker, and tile. It really isn't that hard if you have any sort of home-improvement skills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts