Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck retrofitting a '67 (or any pre-shoulder strap model)with shoulder harness on the seat belt?

I've checked out a few companies that sell the belts, but they tell me the pillar in these cars can't safely anchor the shoulder belt.

If you've been successful, please let me know where you got the belts and what reinforcement you did to the pillar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gearhead, it seems to me that shoulder harnesses, although not manditory on a 67 were available optionally. Anybody got them on a 67? I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Anyway, if they were available, it makes me wonder if the mounting locations are there even if your particular car didn't come with the shoulder harnesses. GM has been know to have a provision for an option even though the option was not added. I had two 68 camaros. One had the harnesses from the factory and the other did not. Although I don't know if the one that didn't have them had the mounts there or not......????............GT

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am also interested in retrofitting my 67 with the shoulder belt harness. I have check my 67 for mounting locations and the mounting locations are there. I just now have to acquire the shoulder belts. If anyone has done this before, please let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am in the process of doing this also. Any 67 coupe should have the mounting structure in place whether or not they were ordered. I called Sundells in NC and he compared the dimensions to another 68-72 car and they were the same. I am waiting on a call back, but anticipate being able to swap any 68-72 Chevelle, Monte Carlo hardware into my 67.

As far as the ability of the car to handle this, the repro 67 sales brochure lists "Front seat shoulder belt anchors" as a standard safety feature. I have my headliner out on my 67 now and it sure looks sturdy to me. All the required holes are there, tapped and ready to go.

John Walker

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 07-30-99).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Gearhead,

The mounting locations for the shoulder belts are located above where the front side window meets the back side window. If you follow the edge above the side windows from within the car, you can probably feel for the location, but it may still be difficult to locate because of the headliner. Since I currently don’t have a headliner installed, it was easy for me to locate the two mounting screw holes where the shoulder belt attaches. If you have a headliner installed, it will be harder to locate, but the locations can still be found by feeling for it. I also have a 1972 Chevelle that I used the shoulder belt to confirm the location and temporarily took one of the 72 shoulder belts and attached to the 67. The 72 shoulder belt fitted the 67 like a glove. I will try and get a picture of the locations in a few weeks to show you where exactly the location is. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
William,
I'm a new member and after posting a question about shoulder belt anchors in the roof of a '67 Chevelle, your information from years ago came up. Could you advise about how many inches the attachment point is from the top of the window frame? What do you recommend for getting through the headliner and repairing it afterward? Thanks.
Phil Keller, Michigan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.