Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 with a tilt collumn that I have just rebuilt.
Everything works well except I have no accessories on the switch?
It didnt before I rebuilt it either, could someone have put the wrong switch ?
Or didnt they have that function? :confused:
Should try another tumbler set?
T.C.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tanks for the reply:
I guess I'll try that, is the acc. position down past the lock position as with most cars?
T.C.

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
If the bottom of the casting that the switch sets in is damaged you will not be able to get to the ACC position. The first time I ran into this it drove me nuts. The damage occurs from breaking out the wrong piece when initially removing the switch. The only cure was to replace the bucket assembly with another one. I wished I had taken a picture of it to share with you. The base of the switch needs to be supported so when you push in on the key to turn into the acc position only the center portion moves inboard which allows the switch to go past the stop.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep youre rite!!
The whole tube is moving inward when I push in to the acc. mode.
I see nothing broken and when I painted it there was nothing broken eiter.
I think the housing has wear or the key is worn out.
I took it apart and shot CRC into it and blew it out with air, it works a little better now and if I glued it to the housing it would work good.
But I dont want to glue it, so I figure I'll be the only one that knowes the trick of how to make it go to the acc. mode.
You all think a new key part would solve the problem?
thanks again T.C.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Can you remove the lock cylinder from your steering column? Hold the case in your hand. Insert the key and rotate counterclockwise to OFF-LOCK.

Now, can you press the key further into the cylinder and get to ACCESSORY? If you can, the problem is most likely that your ignition switch down on the top of the column needs adjusting.

If you can't depress the key and get the lock cylinder (alone) into ACCESSORY, then the problem is in the lock cylinder.

If you need to adjust your ignition switch, I have complete instructions posted at www.corvettefaq.com/A-Car.asp download:

Tilt Strg Column 69-72 Disassemgly & Repair Paper #2 - Drop/remove steering column, replace/adjust turn signal and ignition switch.

Tilt Strg Pics #1 & #3 may also be helpful.

Jim Shea

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Jim:
The problem is the outside barrel of the key lock is sliding in when I push it to get to the acc. position.
So the housing isnt letting it go into the acc. position.
In other words the whole thing slides inward so it cant go to the acc. mode.
I can take it out and it works fine as does the switch.
I used your web pages to reassemble my collumn they were very helpfull thanks for posting them.
T.C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts