Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the 68 have a "door open" or "key in the ignition" buzzer or bell?
This came to mind when I left my keys in the ignition overnight recently.
Sure seems like I have heard them on cars at shows.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Somewhere around here
I have an vintage ad out of a magazine. NEW for '68 was the key warning buzzer.

Most of the time, the little switch in the column (steering column) is worn out, and will only buzz if the key is pushed in considerably. Other than that, unless the wiring to the underhood horn relay is messed up or disconnected, it should work. Do your horns work?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yep, it's the first year for the key reminder buzzer.

I just added this sales ad to my site and it mentions the buzzer. (on the Impala side of the story)

To see all the Chevelle sales ads, click here: http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/sales_ads_chevelle_index.html

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would the switch be in the steering column? The 68 had the ignition on the dash.
Horn works just fine. Wiring has never been tampered with, although the dash bezel was removed by previous owner for resto work.
Just had a look at the wiring schematic. Should buzz when the drivers door jam switch is closed and the courtesy lamps are on.
I'll have to look at the wiring, the buzzer may have been disconnected intensionally.

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
68ElCamino--

DUH!!! I'm sorry. Yes '68s still had in-the-dash-ignition. I'm thinking of '69+ cars.

Same basic thing, the switch is apart of the ign. switch assembly. Not sure where.

You read your diagram wrong.

The buzzzzzz

goes off when the key is left in the ignition, and the driver's door is opened. This grounds the COMBINATION dome light door jamb switch and key buzzer switch. The little jamb switch has 2 lugs on it. One goes to the dome light circuit, the other is apart of the buzzer circuit. Although these two touch ground at the same time when the door is opened, they are electrically isolated from one another. Look carefully, there's a piece of plastic separating the two lugs. This is so the buzzer doesn't "seek" ground thru the dome circuit when the door is shut.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts