Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the body completely off. The frame being stripped and the interior totally out. The wiring harness is pulled back with all connectors labeled. Should I replace it with new wiring so as to avoid future problems with old,crimped,spliced connections? And should I replace the fuse box as well? Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ragtop,If you have the means to replace the wiring and fuse box I certainly would. The added piece of mind is worth its weight in gold. Plus this seems to be the perfect time to do it.Take this from someone whose in wiring gremlin hell right now!GOODLUCK!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Ragtop,

You just answered your own question when you described your wiring as old and crimped and spliced. Give yourself peace of mind knowing you replaced your wiring to prevent future problems or worse a fire.

Just keep old wiring with all the labels attached and draw pictures or take pictures of how the factory routed wiring to compare the new wires/colors/plugs and to aid reinstallation of the new wiring.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ragtop,
I'm in the middle of wiring gremlins right now (which are actually much more trouble than AMC Gremlins!). You wanna try gettin' to all that wiring while the car is all together?
Another thought: after you upgrade and replace a lot of stuff it puts an increased load on old wiring which could lead to problems later on. If you have the money do it!

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
403 Posts
Another view . . . my $.02

under Dash Harnesses are WAY too expensive for me to justify unless the harness is REALLY thrashed
They look ominous and overwhelming but really are not that bad. One can be fixed up with a little patience and time. Replace the connecters, splices and use it.

$450 worth of connectors, etc goes a LONG WAY

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm with Mr. D on this one. However if it's the engine harness that's trash, then I'd replace the bad ones with correct gauge and color wire.
BEFORE you yank out the fuse block be sure there's one available, after market or other wise and double check the quality. I only say this because elecrical is not my cup of tea and I don't like to chase wiring problems.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Be careful with this. Rewiring is not hard but don't pull too much off at once. Don't just take all the old stuff out at once, you will never ever remember what went where.

Even if you label all the wires and terminals pulling it all out before starting is dangerous. Do a little at a time, don't pull some stuff out and stop working...always reattach the new version of everything you have pulled and then pull some more old stuff off.

I did an idiot light to Factory Guage conversion on a 72 and really it is not that big a deal IF you stop and think and follow a carefull procedure. Be careful about "Rebob" harness quality. Go with a reputable vendor. Take your time

·
Registered
69 Posts
Heres 2 pennys for yeah.
I would go ahead and replace it now while it's apart. Do like a couple of these guys said take picture and do a little at a time.
Ground Up sells new (repro) harness they get them from M&H Elect.(M&H has a web site and a number for tech question) and i know when I get to this point i'll replace mine ($350.00 from M&H or ground up for a 67 wit or without gauges)

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(

·
Registered
337 Posts
If your harness is in question, definately replace it Keep in mind, that it is as old as the car is , and usualy one of the last things to go wrong when a car gets old.It's no fun chasing wiring problems, espessialy after youv'e had everything apart once already. Now is the time to do it.Besides, youv'e allready gone this far with the car.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
313 Posts
In my opinion, you can stay with your existing harness only if you inspect every inch of each wire, as well as all connections behind the fuse block and at every splice. Flex each wire repeatedly to see if the insulation is brittle at all. If there is any doubt, think about the $350 as a fire insurance policy.
John Walker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace the harness, you'll be happy down the road that you did. I bought all my harnesses from M&H and the quality was superb, the tech support was great. If you have a assemlby manual you can easily do it by yourself its not that hard.

It's was great to power everything up for the first time and it all worked properly, and I know now that it was done right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.