Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a 69 Chevelle street car. Looking for a motor until I came up on a LS7 454 GM crate motor brand new (0 miles) still in crate, purchased in the late 80's.
The price is a little more than its retail back then, but reasonable.

The person is asking $5,000. . . .

My concern is the power, can it run on pump gas, & is the compression too high !

PLEASE ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THIS MOTOR REPLY, Your input will be greatly appreciated!!!
P.S. the motor has been sitting, still in crate!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is the part number for that engine 3965775? Does it have a special parts notice decal on the valve cover? If so, its actually an LS6. BUY it, BUY it, Buy it. I've run that motor in my Camaro for 9 years on pump gas. Aprox 19000 miles. It broke 3 trans, and 3 rear diffs. If I ever saw another one I'd buy it just to have and extra one.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
LS7's were 12:1 compression, not good for a pump gas motor. It would make a nice bracket motor but would be miserable on the street. If memory serves me right, these things could be had new from GM for about $2800 back in the 80's. Personally 5K sounds a little steep.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The rumor once circulated in the early '80's that GM had pulled a run of LS7's from the line in the 70's because of warrantee problems and the motors sat somewhere untill they were crated and sold 10 years later. These motors were supposed to have misaligned mains. Is it urban legend or was there truth to story and could this be one of those motors?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ok, how about a part number? Or we can continue to do this the hard way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts