Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 70” 350 SB that I’m restoring and am trying to decide if I should put the A/C back in. At first, I didn’t think I’d want to run the A/C since I mildly “hopped” up the motor. Now that it’s the dog days of summer here in the Midwest, I’m wishing I had that A/C installed.

What’s the consensus around here? Should I put the A/C back on? I’ve got a 350 SB, aluminum intake, 4BBL, .454 lift cam. How many out there have A/C in their “hot rod”?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I will when I get the new engine and find the missing A/C pieces. Mine won't be a racer, but will be fast enough, and way cool (at least on the inside!)...

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quik,

I have factory A/C in my '65 Chevelle with a 400hp 327 engine (solid-lifter .503 lift cam, 238I 242E duration @ .050"), but I have a 4-speed trans. I use an idle compensator (Edlebrock) to maintain the idle speed at 950 rpm when the A/C compressor is engaged. I really don't notice any difference in the normal street driving with the A/C running, except that it makes for a lot cooler cruising during the hot So Cal summer days. I have a good cooling system and running the A/C really doesn't cause any problems related to increased engine temperature.

Rod

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I've got AC in mine, it's no hot rod but I drive it daily and like being cooled not cooked.
Jim H
69 Malibu

·
Registered
348 Posts
I run the A/C whenever I want that "cool breeze" feeling. I have 'bout the same setup as you, 350, .480 cam, intake, etc.

The idle drops, but not too much (just sounds like a bigger cam), and the thing still feels it when ya click it on while cruzin. Millage drops about 2 mpg highway, but it's worth it.

Overall I'm glad I got the option, just use it when I want and ya don't even know it on there when you're not.

Keep cool

------------------
71-72 Malibu
"I'm high all right, but on the real stuff
High octane gasoline
A clean windshield
And a shoe shine"

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have factory AC on my '68. I have a BeCool radiator and three electric fans, plus the pump mounted fan. I think it's great having a blown car and AC too! I won't ever buy another car without it!!

------------------
68 Malibu B&M blown 350, TH350 with 10" converter and Gear Vendors overdrive, 12 bolt-3.90 gears
69 CST Pickup original 396, TH400 factory AC/PS/PB
99 Harley Dyna Wide Glide
91 Sportster 883- now a 1200!

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I have AC in ALL my cars except my 56 Vette (and if 56 Vettes had ever had AC, then mine would have it).
Even my RUSTY ole 4dr 51 Chevy daily driver (everyday work car) has a big ole ugly, under dash, cold AC unit.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like I'll be putting the A/C back together. Come next summer, I'm sure I'll be glad I did it. It's been awhile since I took everything apart, so I'll post another message regarding getting all the parts and connections right. Thanks everyone!! Scot

·
Registered
49 Posts
Scot I am just about two hours south of you and know about the heat here in Kansas. Your decision to put the AC in is I believe a good one. It makes those trips in the heat of the day bearable and you smell better when you get there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tonyr I have sent you an e-mail with pics enclosed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.