Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my velle in the shop for a paint job. Today, I find out that they can't find a green top to replace the one I had. So far, all he can find is black. How would a fathom grn chevelle w/black top and blk 70 style stripes look on a 69? Do any of you 69 guys have that combo? If so, could I see a pic? Or should I stay with the grn top and silver stripes? I'm checking around for a grn top. Thanks

------------------
grnmachine1 grnmachine2 grnmachine3 interior grnmachineengine1

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
TINMAN,
IMO, Go with the Black top, and leave, the band aid stripes to the 70-72 cars.
I'd put the "69 style" stripes on the side instead. My .02
Nice looking car.
Really like those wheels.
My 68 is in the paint shop, tonight, got the "68 style" stripes painted on in Flame Red. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/thads68.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 SS-396</A>
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/68vette.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 Corvette</A>

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Go with the black top- One of the show regulars around where i live has this combo and it looks sweet. But I don't know about the black stripes...

I DO like stripes on the '68-69s (as if my car wasn't a representation of what i like...
) but i'm not sure black would look good on green....

How about hoodstripes stripes in a lighter green color? Maybe with a metalflake in it... Might set off the fathom green a litte more and would definitely be something different to look at...

Just a few ideas for ya- Green is a tough color- I love it, but its definitely a tough color to find a nice contrast for....

Let us know what you end up doing!

------------------
Ben Rambow
1969 El Camino Custom
1968 Olds Delmont 88 Convertable
The El Camino Classics Club

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tinman, you are more than welcome to stop by my house and check out my 70 Monte Carlo, it's green with a black vinyl top that used to be green also. Green in green on green, if only that was money.

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kinda like the blk top option myself, but I would like to have the stripes(69 OR 70-72 STYLE). Trying to decide what color stripes to have if I went with the blk top. Would grn with blk top and silver stripes be too much??

------------------
grnmachine1 grnmachine2 grnmachine3 interior grnmachineengine1

·
Registered
175 Posts
What type of wheels do you use on your car.

I'm now having weld racing wheels on my chevelle, and maby i have to replace them in a few years and was thinking to put that kind of wheel on my chevelle.

thanks in advance.

Michael

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I think black top with green and white 69 stripes would look killer.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Tinman,
I think Fathom Green, Black Vinyl top, and Silver "69" SS stripes would look great.
I'll bet the factory actually did that combo, but with white stripes.

------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/thads68.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 SS-396</A>
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/68vette.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 Corvette</A>

·
Gold Founding Member
1,486 Posts
I don't know TM, I like what you have right now. You could put the black top on it without too much change. I also think going with black 69 strips would be nice without the band aid stipes. I wouldn't go with silver in either case.

my .02

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

[This message has been edited by BobFmTyler (edited 11-03-2001).]

G

·
Tinman,
I like the dark green color and the hood stripes even though they are not correct for a 69. I'm thinking of puting them on my 69 and say to hell with correctness (red car white or silver stripes).
A friend of mine had a 69 with the correct or stock 69 dark green interior, matching dark green vinyl top and a lighter green exterior (correct or stock 69 light green color) with matching dark green hood, trunk, and side stripes. This was in 1970 and the car looked awesome. IMO it was one of the best looking 69's I've ever seen.

G

·
Tinman,

If you are talking about replacing a green vinyl top with the same color why not go to someone that does upholstery? They would be able to get a matching color and could even install the top.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Go with the Black top, and leave, the band aid stripes to the 70-72 cars.
I'd put the "69 style" stripes on the side instead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta agree with that!

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go with the Black top, and leave, the band aid stripes to the 70-72 cars.
I'd put the "69 style" stripes on the side instead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta agree with that!

I also got to agree with that. However it is 'YOUR' car and you should do it how you want it! Any of you remember chevy truck in 1972 that was a dark green and a light green? Those colors looked real good together.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Gold Founding Member
1,486 Posts
TM I'm in the same boat you are. I'm still tryng to decide how to do mine. It's been driving me nuts for a couple of months now. I'm down to changing my mind only twice a day now.

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tinman,

I like your current combo, but think that the car would look even better with the black vinyl top/ fathom green paint...If you decide to keep the hood stripes, perhaps black stripes to match the new vinyl top...It would create a nice subtle look, if that's what you're into...good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.