Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 64 GTO with power drum brakes. I recently purchased a complete power disc brake set up from a 72 chevelle for real cheap. I was planning on rebuilding my front end and installing it on my GTO. Folks around here tell me that I will be making my car unoriginal and less valuable. The car stops fine under normal driving with well over 1000,000 miles on it but I'm planning on rebuilding the motor to stock tri-power specs(4 barrel on it now) and I will open it up. Will the disc brakes make that much of a difference for me to sacrifice originality

[This message has been edited by elmarco (edited 03-25-99).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
what do you want to do with it, drive it or sell it?!? i'm a big fan of stopping safely, but that's me. if you're going to build the engine to specs, you may as well go the whole route. how cheap were the brakes? i could use extras...

·
Registered
421 Posts
WOW 1 million miles.... damn give him an award for the most road eaten by a goat.

francis

·
Registered
687 Posts
You are already planning on changing it from original with the tri power what would the brakes hurt?It would definitely help it stop.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go ahead and change it.
The extra stopping power may save the whole investment(and you) someday.
Besides, If somebody wants to buy the car to restore to original specs, they can install the original equipment back on it when the car is completely apart. Because they are going to have to tear it down anyway. I would rather get the original brakes in a freezer bag, and have a good disc setup any day.

[This message has been edited by RobB (edited 03-26-99).]

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Too bad you trashed a Chevelle just to stop a goat. Just kidding.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
622 Posts
First; decide what it is you are doing - building a car you want to drive and have as you like it, or a collector car. That automatically determines what to do.
If you want a car for you , do what you want.
If you want a collectible, keep it pure stock with no changes. I suppose a garage full of removed parts is an option, but not for me,I have too much junk already.

------------------

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,755 Posts
I had a '64 tri-power GTO in the late 60's. The first time I went through 2 gears wide open, I stomped the brakes with a stop sign coming up. The brakes (stock drum) lasted about 3 seconds before fading away at about 30 MPH. Coasted through the stop sign. Lucky no cars were coming. Found out real quick how good the stock brakes were. von

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.