Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about the 3 time i have writen about this dash it is a 71 chevelle ss dash but some wires were cut one was the wire that went the passanger door for the dome light the other from what i have found out from this sight is that it is the flasher box wires but ,my Question is this I am putting this dash in a 70 chevelle that at one time was a malibu but the ss dash has more wires then the maibu and i have no idea were they all go, My other question is this the dash does not say park revese ect. on the dash so i came the idea that it was either auto in the floor or manual if this the case should i change the harnes so i know where every thing goes and no extra wires thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Extra wires are probably to your reverse lights and nuetral safety switch. Auto floor shift cars has the switch located on the shifter on the floor. Column shift has it on the lower part of the steering colmn.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes but my car is on the colume and the dash is not to my car should i get a new harness seen it seem the har ness went to a 71 chevelle foor shift or manual car and because my car is a 70 should i get a 70 dash harness because my car is a 70 chevelle remember my car was a 70 mailibu and it is a 71 ss dash

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
With a little time the problems can be figured out. A new dash harness is around $400.00.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If im not mistaken the harness is the same for floor or column. If it is a floor shift there will be a console extension harness leading to the console to connect the reverse and nuetral safety to the main harness.I assume that the harness you have is the harness that goes with the SS dash.Auto will be a little different than manual.I am working on the same type switch over now,its a 71 Malibu with me putting in a 70 SS dash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
P.S. I would not get a new harness at this time . If you will give a color of wich wires you are having a problem with i can tell you where they go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
u now waht is funny we could just excange wires i fave 71 dash ss harness and u have a 70 ss dash harness hahahahha t i cant say what they aare at this time i will go and check soon but it is a wire in the middle of the dash that is really long and it seems to go no were also my car was and is a colum car is that problem if the dash was out of a car with a auto floor or a manual thats my main prob. if some one could get me a diagram that would be cool
PS im not worryed about price i just want the car to funktion properly so i can drive it and watch the tach go up and down in a car that at on time was a 307 70 malibu but now has more attitude

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Need to post more specific information on what problem you are having.
Wire colors would also help.
Also try breaking up the sentences. They are just a little hard to read.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my car is a/c the dash i have no idea about the dash. But im just going to bye a new wire harness any suggestions. And what has to be done to put a 70 wiring into a 71 ss dash .Also sorry about not have info down the car is an auto 350 with a 350 it is a colum car. I am ordering the harness from national parts depo the part is 1970 chevelle ss with factory gauges is this right because my dash does not have the warning light near the lighter or shuld i get the 1970 chevelle ss with warning lights

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does your dash have all the gauges Tach,Amp,and Temp gauges. If it does then you need to order a harness for a 1970 SS with gauges. Also make sure that if you car is an A/C car you let them know you have A/C when ordering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool thanks because i do have the tac/ rpm gauge the amp and temp gauages and my car without a doute is a an a/c car i now because of the boxs in the front and the it has a/c on the contol or cool either or

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also what has to be done to the dash conponents to work with a 70 wire harness it is a 71 dash (so far i know that the car s light switch and cigerate lighter has to cange) what else thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stupid question would any on have a diagram for a 1970 chevelle ss because i thank i might need on the intire front of my car wiring harness is gone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts