Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found rubber material inside my valve cover. Seems to be the valve stem seal for the intake on cyl # 2. No other material found, I cleaned up the particles best I could . I am supposed to race this weekend in a index race . The reason I took the valve covers off was to check the valve lash. Found the lash needed to be adjusted in that same valve.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Re: Should I be worried , found little rubber material inside valve cover.

can you leakdown that cylinder? If that valve does not hold adjustment it may be ready to drop. That was the symptoms before I grenaded an old 350 with solid roller. Or it may be guide wear that caused the seal to break.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I will keep an eye out for the adjustment on this valve to see if it won't hold the valve lash setting. I could have missed the valve the last time I set the valve lash, which was approx 400 miles ago. I'm pretty sure the valve stem seal is not there . I checked the spark plug and it shows a little bit of oil being burnt.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I will do a compression test tomorrow . Don't have the compressor working to do a leakdown test but will get it to a friends shop . I would do the comp. test now but the neighbors might not like noise at this time of night. :)

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts

Good luck

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks. I just realized that I don't know where the ring thats on the valve stem seal is at. :(

·
Registered
3,204 Posts

Thanks. I just realized that I don't know where the ring thats on the valve stem seal is at. :(
It should be still around the valve. I don't see how it could come off? The rubber can get torn so it can come out, but the metal ring should still be there. I would be for dang sure something is not wrong with that valve/guide or that cam lobe. JMHO.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, I did a compression check on all cylinders and that cylinder (#2) turned out 185 lilke most other cylinders (some at 190) . I inspected the rocker arm , the retainer . All looks exactly like the cylinder next to it. I feel a little better about running it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts

The ring should still be on the valve stem maybe hidding on top of the guide. If possible do the leakdown then feel confident if the valve drops you will be very sad that you did not check. If it checks out less to worry about.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The ring should still be on the valve stem maybe hidding on top of the guide. If possible do the leakdown then feel confident if the valve drops you will be very sad that you did not check. If it checks out less to worry about.
Before I run this weekend I will do a leakdown test. Also , found out that the seals used were umbrella type so there is should be no ring on stem. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts