Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is the idea of shorty headers good because they clear the ground better and will bolt up to your stock exhaust. Do they perform as well as the normal type. I seen Jegs had the ceramic Dynomax, either style for the same price.

By the way, anyone running the Dynomax's on a 67. Any problems with fit or installation.

Thanks, Cal

------------------
TC Member # 1308
http://72sselcamino1.tripod.com/calscaminos/

·
Registered
226 Posts
The length of the primaries is one of the most important aspects for headers, so performance will be different. Full size headers definitely have a performance advantage. However, as you stated, the full size headers have ground clearance and fitment issues. Think of shorty headers as an in between step between manifolds and full headers.

------------------
Randy Johnson
70 Chevelle
[email protected]
1.766 60 ft.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
If you're looking to squeeze every bit of HP out of your mill, regular length headers are the way to go, however, if your car is street/strip with more street in the equation, shorty headers may be a good compromise. The sound of me scraping my headers on the incline of a driveway for the first time is forever etched into my brain and eardrums!

------------------
Dan Orgill

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
exactly what 4spdrat said. the long headers gain hp by what is called "scavenging effect". essentially that is the long tubes help pull the exhaust away from the combustion chamber decreasing back pressure. for the street I highly recommend the practicality of shorties. one good scrape and your tubes could get smashed closing them off making it worst then if you just had shorties. to me its worth the minor sacrifice with shorties, it will still blow the performance out of cast manifolds.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the scraped, battered, dented, half closed off, partly closed off hooker super comps and WORRIED each and every time i drove the car. Each time i put it on a hoist i winced and quickly got it out of the air.(on a couple of the pipes that were scraped, the scrape didn't stay flat. It sucked up into the rest of the pipe. It actually started to make the pipe about 1/2 the inside diameter! NOT good!

So i went with Sanderson headers/block hugger type. To me, NOT having to worry about bottoming out makes your Day, each and every day. The plus is that every time you get under or look under the car, it looks as good as when it was first done. Soooo...block hugger type headers that are completely round are probably just as efficient as "tuned length" headers that are all smashed to h--- and causing a restriction.

just my worry-free driving, nickels worth.

Wally

------------------
Astro Blue '70 SS Christmas Chevelle
Build/Born on Date (12D)
4th Week of December,1969

Wally Sowles TC#1448

Smokin' TIRES won't give you cancer.....

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have read a couple articles comparing shortie to full length.

One thing to consider is that you can actually gain some top end power with shorties. The overall gain is less than the loss of power at low RPM, though.

If you really want the best of both worlds, you might want to look into this stainless steel header I read a post here about. I forget who makes it, but it does not have a collector flange. It is supposed to connect to the exhaust pipe using a type of clamp they developed. Since the collector flange is the first thing to hit, not having one will give more ground clearence.

The only thing is they are REAL expensive.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Most shorty headers will not clear clutch linkage. Also, unless you are going with a true tuned header on a car that is more strip than street you most likely would never be able to tell the difference in performance between a shorty header and a run of the mill full length header.

Steve R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.