Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gathered the resources to now modify my 12 bolt housing to fit in my 78 Elky. There is a local shop that can shorten my housing to 52.5 inches. From what I see in the Moser catalog I can use their new axle housing ends and retainers instead of a C-clip eliminator because I will have to use new axles. Any recommendations or sources (I'm located in MD) other than Moser?

Also, I can install the lower control arm and shock mount from a 78 10 bolt so I'm not concerned with lower control arm alignment but I am concerned with upper control arm mounting and alignment. Are the housing upper mounts on a 12 bolt different than a late model 10 bolt? I think I want the uppers to be adjustable. Should I install no-hop bars and will they give me the proper alignment? What do you recommend for a Posi unit? I will want a new drive shaft and Moser makes several different ones I need a recommendation here too.

This might help answer the questions above. 1978 Elky w/ all GM LS7 w/ 4 speed. I have a very lofty goal of running high 11s with the AC on and this might require some later engine and trans mods. Just trying to smarten up from all the experience on Chevelle Tech before I make the calls tomorrow. Sorry for such a lengthy post. TIA. MikEC

------------------

G

·
Mike,

I performed the exact conversion you described in my 79 Malibu. I had a local company (I live in Maryland also) narrow the housing and relocate the lower brackest and shock mounts. The company is called Automotive Racing Chassis (ARC for short) owned by Warren Frank and is located in Littlestown, PA. I used Mark Williams components throughout which have a similar housing end. It is like a 9" Ford (captured bearing with retainer plate) but fits stock GM drum brakes.

Yes, the upper brackets are at different angles. I used a Dick Gazan suspension kit that has no-hops w/2 upper holes for adjustments. The upper control arms have heim ends that connect to the no-hops. These heims allow for the misalignment in angles. The kit is now made by Art Morrison. Works very well and is tunable too. I used a Denny's Driveshaft that is very well made. They are very easy to deal with also.

I have quite a few pics on my web site which show this rear suspension setup.

BTW, where in Mayland are you from?

Hope this helps
Todd Geisler
Malibu Muscle http://www.qis.net/~tgeisler

------------------

·
Registered
527 Posts
I dont know if this would save some cash but you can rob backing plates, drums, and axle ends off a ford donor car and have your shop weld them on this is the same as moser method of not using c-clip eliminators. Ask your diff guy about it.

[This message has been edited by 1bad67 (edited 01-31-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.