Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys figure the cost is to take a bare 454 block and build it up to a forged solid bottom similar to the 502 from chevy..parts & machining and labor..total cost

does it pay to bother with a used block??

if you went with a crate 502 shortblock would you run it as is or would you tear it down and if so waht changes would you make or what tolerances would you check??anyone able to calcualte the CR a factory shortblock would give with 105 cc heads?? (racer1320 215s with unshrouding) and are pistons campatible with these heads (actually mine are 3856206 castings)

in short does it pay to scrounge up a block when a shortblock thats assembled can be had for a little over 3k??

------------------
Rich Baratta
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
May 2001 Feature Car
BSE WannaBe
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 08-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, i'd like to take my heads (049's) and bolt em on to a shortblock 502 cuz they are all forged, and my heads are great flowing etc. and i'd be able to use my intake, and everything else (except for fuel pump) and it would take a bottle no problem

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
If you're getting a GM shortblock, run it "as is" so there are no warranty problems. You touch a wrench to it to "disassemble and inspect" and you'll have no warranty.

GM crate engines are relatively inexpensive, but you can often get by cheaper with a DIY project. In the end, sometimes the warranty is worth the extra cost, and sometimes not. In my case, my "hotrod" 'Camino has a DIY project engine, and my work truck has a GM Crate engine.

The 'Camino is the way I wanted it to be, and no one builds a crate engine that way. My work truck had to be "on the road" with a minimum of downtime, even if that cost a bit extra. A '90-92 GM "B" body roller cam 350 retro-fitted nearly without problem, and both engines have worked well in their intended purpose for several years now.

Build it yourself: Get EXACTLY what you want, may or may not be less expensive. Certainly more work, certainly more time consuming. Probably NO warranty. If you don't choose parts that work well together, could be a dog. Choose 'em well and you'll have good power.

GM Crate engine: May be close to what you want, comes with warranty (generally one year, 12K miles) probably have it installed and running before a DIY project gets out of the machine shop. Follow Chevy's recommendation for fuel and ignition and have "guaranteed" horsepower.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.