Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe someone out there can help i have a 69 chevelle and a few nights ago went for a ride and i put on my high beams on and off a few times and next thing i no my dash lighs went off as well as the side lighs and tail lights to. the head lights stayed on when i got home the fuse was blown so i replaced it an it keeps blowing/and the head lights still work im thinking to things the headlight switch or the high and low beam switch im looking in the rite direction? THANKS for any help jim

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I assume it's the tail light fuse that keeps popping. That would make sense if that's the one. The fuse powers both the dash lights and the tail lights.
Not the high/low beam switch.
Not likely is under the dash. If it was there the short dash light fuse would blow.
Most like not the headlight switch. The wires would have to short to the frame and that usually doesn't happen.
Since fuses cost money try this. Clip a light bulb or test light across the tail light fuse holder (without a fuse). Turn the head light switch on. Without a fuse installed the light bulb will light up if there's a short somewhere.
Try removing all the front and rear lights one at a time. When you get the test light to go out, you've located the shorted area.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Herb:
Nice tip John. I've never used that method. Thanks
You probably have and just stored it away for awhile. Remember years ago they used to have "blown fuse indicators" on some equipment? This was gear plugged into the wall that ran into a transformer. They would put an indicator light across the fuse. If the fuse blew, the circuit would use the transformer primary winding to provide power to the other leg of the light. Fuse pops, light comes on. Same idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts