Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 elcamino, bench seat, 4sp car and have sholder belts that are removable from the lap belt. Was this optional? I thought all seat belts are permantly attached to the tongue. Was this an elcamino only option? or could these be from other model? Thanks Jim

------------------
Jim
70 El Camino
77 SS El Camino (wife's)
69 CorV8
Springfield, Oregon
Team Chevelle #284 Gold
ACES #3227

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
If you mean that you have two seperate seat belts (one lap and one sholder) then that is normal. If I'm not mistaken, that is the way all chevelles 68+ came.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
29 Posts
68 Chevelles had a lap belt and a shoulder belt. So the front seat had 4 couplers just for the 2 front passengers. In 1970 the shoulder belts changed. They removed two of the couplers and added a peg to the shoulder portion of the belt. They added a notch to the lap belt. Before you cliped the lap belt you would insert the shoulder belt peg into the lap belt notch and then snap the lap belt into the coupler. Whew! Hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can add to this?

- Tim

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
It was later than 70, mine still had the 4 latches. I think it may have been 72.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I am no expert on this , but I believe that 64elcamino is right; I think that '72 was the first year for the 3-belt system. I have seen several '71 models with the 4 belt system. What irks me further is that I owned a '69 plymouth beater ($150 car) which had the 3-belt system. How could Chevrolet be so far behind?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
My '72 SS still had the 4 separate buckles. But in the local boneyard, I saw the 3-belt system in a plain-jane '72 4-door. So I guess that means the 3-belt system was either model-dependent, or an option(?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
what thornbe said kinda confused me with the notches and pegs and stuff. does anybody have a picture of what this 3-belt system looks like? my 72 elk has the independent lap and shoulder belts and it's just getting old on me!

thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry about the confusion. I stand corrected on the year the 3 point belts were introduced. Think of your newer seatbelts. Now take the shoulder part of the belt and separate it from the lap part. The shoulder part still has a chrome plated end but there is a peg sticking up from the flat side. The lap belt still has the standard chrome end, but there is a notch to insert the shoulder belt peg. Then you click both belts into the female style lap belt coupler. Maybe it would be easier if someone had a picture. Help!!!

- Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts