Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 66' Chevelle SS396 Coupe. The car was equipped with air shocks on rear when I bought it. My concern is if I go to gas shock absorbers will I still be able to maintain a level stance on car with out any noticeable sag in rear. Some cars from that era had a tendency to sit low in the back. Any suggestions or advice? (ie, stick with air shocks or a particular brand of gas shocks.......I have KYB gas shocks on the front). Thx Larr

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would suggest that you go with the gas shocks, and see if the rear sags. If they are original springs, they probably will. The best way to keep the rear up is to replace the springs. I fooled around for years with all sorts of ways to keep the rear of my car up (air shocks, air bags, etc.), I should have just replaced the dang springs. Easy to do and no need to watch the air pressure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would suggest that you go with the gas shocks, and see if the rear sags. If they are original springs, they probably will. The best way to keep the rear up is to replace the springs. I fooled around for years with all sorts of ways to keep the rear of my car up (air shocks, air bags, etc.), I should have just replaced the dang springs. Easy to do and no need to watch the air pressure.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Larr...I replaced the old air shocks on my 71 after I got it, cause they were shot..I was worried about the same thing, but with new Monroe gas shocks, it sits just like new, no sag at all...Try the shocks first, even if you go with the springs, you will want new shocks anyway. There are a whole lot of other things I would rather be doing than pulling springs out!! John

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Larr...I replaced the old air shocks on my 71 after I got it, cause they were shot..I was worried about the same thing, but with new Monroe gas shocks, it sits just like new, no sag at all...Try the shocks first, even if you go with the springs, you will want new shocks anyway. There are a whole lot of other things I would rather be doing than pulling springs out!! John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.