Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 chevelle SS which is in need of some new shocks. What are the best kind to get? This is a daily driver that see the occasional trip to the track. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

I was also thinking about replacing the bushings and going with polyurethane ones but I hear the can squeak. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Go with a set of KYB shocks on all four corners. They handle much better than OEM gas shocks...ie. your ride will be noticeably 'slightly' firmer and not so soft and mushy in the turns.

As for Poly body mount bushings making noise, I too have 'heard' this from several posts here at Chevelle Tech but I've been using them on my 70' for two years now and have had no squeeks or noises at all. They will definitely firm up your ride though...much more than the KYB's would alone. But with Poly's and KYB's, your car will MOST definitely handle the turns MUCH better with a lot less body roll and flex. For an all out street bruiser, it's the way to go, IMO. Have fun!

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I second the KYB's. They are excellent.

As for poly bushings, get polygraphites. They don't squeak like urethane. The colored bushings from Energy Suspension are urethane but the black ones are graphite, they have a "G" as the last digit of the part number.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went with the KYB's also on my 72, but haven't been able to try them out yet, my car is not finished.
Can't wait to try em.

Jeff Litka
72 chevelle SS
72 MonteCarlo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.