Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I could not find any reference to it.
What is the best way you folks who sell parts, ship them to buyers and arrange for payment? Is it done differently selling to TC members vs. non-members?
I have a lot of potential buyers for the 66 conv. I am parting out and some 71/72 parts I have. I'm just not sure on the best, risk free methods.
Thanks in advance.

------------------
Bob
Merrimack, NH
TC Gold Member #169
N.E. Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Bob -

I've sold to about 20 or so buyers thru this site over the past 2 years, and have always shipped parts after receiving payment. This seems to be the accepted method, and I haven't had any gripes yet. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to ship parts without payment to a known fellow Team Chevelle member. No one should have a problem with sending you $$ if you give them your Team Chevelle member number.

If you think about it, a consumer must always pay for mail order goods before they are sent. Businesses don't want to be in the collection business, and neither should you!

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Bob I bought some parts recently from a member(Philip Valentine). I had never done this before and so felt a little better buying from a member. The parts we mailed to me and were exactly what the e-mailed picture had shown. Check shipping costs before quoting price. Philip found it is not cheap to send things to Canada, I kicked in a little to cover part of that high cost. I just sent him money orders(postal order) as soon as he said he had mailed the parts.

------------------
Rod
Team Chevelle
Gold Member#22
1970 454

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have bought a few things from people off this site. A M.O. is what I send and they send parts. I have had extremely good luck with T.C. members, but bad luck otherwise. I think I will require a picture of the part if they are not T.C. from now on.

Advice, send no part until you get $$.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been watching how most of the sellers on ebay do it and it seems the most risk free. Ask for a cashiers check or money order before shipping, buyer to pay for shipping. Checks may be ok but they have to clear the bank before the part is sent. If someone is honest they shouldn't have a problem with this method. Don't be meek it's your money/part. Give good descriptions/pictures this lessens the risk on the buyers side. I've had met some really good people selling parts. Unfortunately I've also met at least one ahole that really makes you leary. So cover your but and expect the buyer to do the same.

------------------
2 piece 66 SS396
'72 C20 4x4
Gold #75

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Advice! Buyer Beware!!! For the most part members and people who frequent this web site are honest, up front people. (After all they drive Chevelles don't they) BUT, speaking from experience, there's usually a bad apple among all the good ones. I sent a guy money (money order) for parts 3 months ago and still don't have parts...keeps coming up with excuses like I lost your address...will ship thursday...but thursday never seems to come. I must say only (1) problem, the rest of you guys are SUPER and
for someone who's new to owning a classic the information available is unlimited and usually correct. Thanks to all the GOOD GUYS! Lets not let "one" ruin it for thousands.

64 Chevelle Malibu SS
Williston, North Dakota

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
I also have had good luck buying and selling here . I always send a check before getting something. And always recieve a check before shippingunlessits a Team Member . I also dealt with Phillip Valentine he was great to deal with very honest description. Mike

------------------
Mike
69SS 396
Everett Mass

·
Administrator
16,170 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Ron & Mike. My policy to TC members is not to worry about payment. I will ship prior to recieving payment. I'm holding on to a check I recieved until I hear that another member is happy with the part I sent. On a couple of items I was sent more money than I had asked for. I have recieved parts from others here and have been satisfied with the transactions. For non-members I would be inclined to get payment first.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks, that's what I figured. I just wasn't sure if people would be willing to send money up front before having the part in their hands. But it's true, if that's the case they can go else where.

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
Bob,
I have been mostly selling but also doing some buying on e-bay for the last year or so and have never been burned. Nothing was real high dollar, the highest thing I sold was a $300 intake last week.
I guess it is no different than buying from Hemmings, National Dragster, Parts Peddler etc. I have found that a phone call will give you a lot better feel for a person rather than just an e-mail.
For higher priced items, there are some internet "escrow" services. Basically the buyer sends the money to the escrow service, you send the item, and if the buyer is satisfied the escrow service sends the money to you. The do charge a small percentage fee, but for something high dollar, I think it would be worth it. You can find the names of several services on e-bays home page.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The way I found best is give them all the info, I personally send them a picture of the item, either mail or scan and e-mail, and include my address.Then I let them know to call or e-mail if they want it.I give them the option of paying in advance including the shipping charges,or, send it to them C.O.D via U.P.S and they end up paying more for the same item.I tell them this up front,and most of them choose the pre-payment plan. I had a buyer interested in a car once, and he was to pay 1/2 down for a deposit and have the remainder due at delivery , plus delivery charge.That way I knew they really wanted it and not just tire kicking.He was pleased with this plan, but I actually sold it to someone locally before I could video the car.Only talking about $1500 for the car though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This past spring I drove 3 hours to look at a '67 Malibu in north central MO I found in the Chevelles for Sale Section of this site. This was after recieving a few pictures and then sending a deposit. The car was just as it was presented but I passed on it.

The fellow was a super nice guy and even gave back the deposit (just a $100 bucks). Which was good for me, but I felt a little bad that he had it "off the market" for a couple of days.

On a completely different note, I read a while back that people are being ripped off with phoney (FAKE) Money Orders. Beware!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Always get a POSTAL money order or cashier check first. If your buying items ALWAYS send the money order certified! That extra $5 it will cost you is well worth it in the long run (if the part is over $30) Make as long a paper trail as you can just incase you do get ripped off you have a lot of evidence to hold against the person.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I say "match the hassle you make to the value of the part" In other words, don't get all uptight over money orders , certified checks, and paper trails for a $25 part.The very worst that can happen is you lose $25!! If the part is worth $500, take alot more care, such as pictures, etc..I have sold a bunch of parts (to clean out my garage) and have had very good experience with getting checks , then sending parts. Do be careful of shipping costs on low dollar heavy parts and especially ANYTHING to Canada.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I agree with all the commments made. Yes Canada, Alaska and Hawaii are very costly to ship to and the buyers there know it. So do your homework, get a UPS shipping guide with the rates and get the zones for shipping from your Zip code, buy a cheap bathroom scale at Walmart ($5) so you can estimate the cost. Or you can let a shipping center do it all for you but it may double the shipping costs. Some items its a must though, as they have all the stuff necessary to package. Especially if going to Canada, they can take care of all the proper exporting forms. I was told if you decribe the items as "Antique Auto Parts" and write it on the outside of the package there is not import duty to pay at the receiving end.

I don't like to ship COD anymore! Just more work for you and several weeks to get the $$. Don't ship untill a personal check clears, if you do the buyer may have the opportunity to cancel the check before it clears.

I find selling on ebay to be very good, parts that no one wanted here got many bidders at ebay. If you are going to sell then you must be ready to bite the bullet and refund money if they are not happy, even if you loose money on it.

You might want ot invest in a digital camera, they are fantastic! Instant JPEG image to post or email.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 09-17-99).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.