Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just added power steering to my '70 s.b. and boy is it great. however, i'm concerned that eyeballing the double groove pulley i installed is not in round. i got the pulley for free from a local engine shop's junk pile. i cleaned and painted it, however, i'm wondering if it's out of round or if adding accessories to the crank has caused an out of balance condition? i'm i going to trash the engine by running it this way? i just bought an aluminum 2 groove replacement.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Kopeck, I wouldn't run it that way. I suppose that's why the pulley was in the junkpile. You probably won't hurt the motor but you will proabably fry the belts in a hurry. Plus, if you're anything me, you'll think about it every time you rev and for that reason, spend the time and put the new alum on.

G

·
Sometimes it's not the pulley, it may be that some dumb ass installed the balancer with a hammer, beating over the mating area where the pulley sits. I have seen this more than once. When you install the new pulley, make sure the face of the balancer and the small step that registers the pulley are in good shape.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ha that's funny the dumbass would be my father-in-law i can picture him hammering away. it ran ok with the single pulley after the engine swap. i'll check it out.
you're right, i can't help but think about the thing wobbling around up there.
thanks for the help
g

G

·
g, I saw a guy pounding on a balancer trying to remove it, broke the thing off clean at the first main. Man was that funny, you get what you deserve don't you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.