Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4=speed has a Hurst shifter on it. Just put trans in and cant get linkage to shift right. How do I adjust it? Also the 3 notches where the shift rods bolt, which way should they point when trans is in neutral? Please help, i'd be driving it right now if this didnt hold me up.

------------------

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just put a Hurst shifter in my 1966. The shifter came with a neutral line up tool that is plastic and is shaped like a 1/4" allen wrench. It is inserted thru the slots in the shifter. Then adjust the threaded rod adjusters so they easily go into the bushing holes. The 1-2 and the 3-4 arms on the trans. should be in their center position to be in neutral(move forward and back by hand to find center) The reverse arm (the one on the smallest rod) should be pushed forward.The arms must be positioned before you adjust the rods. I found it necessary to adjust the rods with the adjacent one moved out of position temporarily to provide clearance to easily insert the end into the bushing.(remove the line up tool if you used one temporarily ) I also noticed when I was replacing the shifter boot that on top of the shifter pivots there are marks which line up in a row when in neutral.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
One more adjustment you need to check after everthing is adjusted in neutral. There are shift stop screws in the shifter housing. The rear screw is the third gear stop and the front screw is the fourth gear stop. They prevent overshifting. There should not be any contact at the end of the screw and the shift mech. when in gear. To adjust back the rear screw out and shift the trans. into third gear, then turn the screw in untill it makes light contact, then back out one full turn. Adjust the front stop screw the same way with the trans. in fourth gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.