Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a newly purchased 66 Chevelle Malibu with a 400 turbo automatic trans. I do not like the current floor shifter that it came with and would very much like to replace. Does anyone have any suggestions. I use the car for street use only. The 355 engine is pushing 425 horse, not sure if that makes a difference in choice, just getting into hot rodding.

Thanks!!
Eric

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had a B&M Quick Silver in my Elcamino for 17yrs without any trouble. I recently had to buy a new one because the QK SLVR was one of the first ones made & a 3 speed only shifter. When I switched to the 4spd Automatic, I went with the B&M Hammer. I did use it prior to pulling the old tranny & so far I've been happy with it. The pictures you see look funky but once its in the car it looks pretty darn good. They also make one for consoles. I've heard horror stories with Hurst, but thats second hand info & may be only one of their lines?!? Which ever one you choose, be sure to keep the cable as straight as possible where it passes through the floor. This will cause excessive wear on the cable & soon break.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Registered
622 Posts
I suggest a 4 speed and hurst shifter - If you really like fun that is.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have had 2 B&M's and loved them both. I plan to get the B&M for my 6 speed too. Plus, When Car and Driver tested a few new F bodies a while back (SS Camaro and T/A Anniversary edition) with the Hurst shifter on my tranny they said they were missing shifts. I knew a guy at B&M and know they make quality stuff. I drove a car with a V-Matic and didn't like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally don't like the look or feel of most ratchet shifters, they look and feel sloppy, most of them involve some cheap black plastic box being mounted on the floor, exept for the b+m pro ratchet, the only one i like. I personally use a b+m gate shifter called the pro stick, i prefer the solid feel and the look it gives

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Many years ago, I changed My '66 Chevelle from a Powerglide to a T350. I also used a used B&M Quik silver shifter that a buddy gave me. It worked great, but eventually wore out. I bought the same shifter again. I also ran the stoch floor console using the stock chrome plates on the sides of the shifter. Even kept the stock indicator.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have to agree with '69bigblock regarding the plastic, but disagree about them being sloppy. My Quick Silver lasted 17 trouble free years and the Hammer is NOT EVEN close to being sloppy.
The best way to get rid of the plastic cover is to install an aftermarket 4spd floor hump then stuff the shifter into it. You'll need a new carpet of course but you'll have a floor shifter that looks factory with carpet all the way up to the indicator plate. Plus, the shifter is moved to the driver side of the tranny where it should be making it more ergonmic.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a B&M mega shifter and I love it. I've used a Hurst and I think it facilitates quicker shifts if you need 'em. In fact, when I build my next project car (my race car) I'll put a Hurst in it. My 68 is a daily driver that I just feel the need to shift every once in a while (stop lights during the day time--who says street racing is dead
), so the B&M is perfect.--Amanda

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been following this thread as I will also need to make a shifter decision sometime in the future.

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, b^tches, gripes, advice, experience with the Hurst dual gate?

Just curious..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.