Team Chevelle banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled out my console today, so that I could install my new shifter cable (along with a factory shifter cable bracket under the car). I get the old cable out and see that it is not the same (I actually knew it wasn't the same before removing it, but thought I would test fit the new one). They sell this cable as an 'exact reproduction of the original'. Well, you look at the pictures and see if you can tell me exactly where they went wrong. This cable is NOT an exact reproduction for a Chevelle (at least not a 71). Maybe some other car, but not this one. I have already ordered one that is correct, but it is very annoying that the first one was incorrect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,784 Posts
I have the same looking replacement cable and added a 3rd screw to mount it so the rubber would lay flat, almost anyway, how's the new trans so far? I'm hoping it's finally fixed, I was under mine today and checked my adj. and it wasn't right, I think all replacement/AM cables are going to be like that unless you can find a place like Hinshaw or similar

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that the boot that seals on the floor on my 71 snaps to the floor with three clips - there are no screws. The cable is not correct for a Chevelle. As for the transmission, they couldn't get it in this week - it goes in Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,784 Posts
And I just noticed the orig is meant to snap in, I didn't know that, the one I bought didn't come with any type of fasteners or instructions so I screwed it to the floor in 3 places, if I had known that I think I would have figured something else, screws through the floor :surprise:

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the correct one - with shipping it is about $12 more - but it will fit properly.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
The cable that has the incorrect rubber boot is like a mid to late 70's Camaro style cable. It should be used with a steel retaining ring that is shaped like the rubber boot.

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently, NO ONE knows how to make the correct shifter cable for my Chevelle. I just got the other one today (I ordered it because the one in the picture on his listing matched what I had), but it is wrong. This one has 3 ears on the grommet/boot for the floor. How hard is it for these 'manufacturers' to get a hold of an original cable and copy it??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
And they're so proud of it they print a reminder of where it's made, I think the package/bag mine came in said Camaro but I ordered from a chevelle parts cat, they probably sell Camaro parts also, wonder why GM made them different for each, any way to repair your cable? or put a new cable in the old housing and make new ends, sounds like a lot of work though, I use to fix m/c cables like that but I could buy the new ends back then, that's your DD isn't it?

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep - daily driver. I will just keep looking. If I have to, I will find an original one (new old stock) and pay the extra money for it. I wish I had kept the part number off the original packaging when I replaced it the last time - then I could search for the actual GM part (I looked in my assembly manual, but I couldn't find any pages that had the shifter cable for a possible part number).

·
Registered
495 Posts
I know this post is 3 years old but I am having the same problem. The original plug has 3 tabs to hold it to the floor. The new ones (even the “correct” ones) have a metal ring with 3 holes to screw it to the floor.

I searched for the GM part # 3956765 and didn’t get a hit that looked right. I have read a lot on here about the replacement cable lengths being wrong.

Has anybody bought a correct cable for a ‘70 lately?

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just found what I believe is the correct cable on this site: 68 69 70 71 72 Camaro & Firebird Automatic Shifter Cable OE Style GM# 3956765

I ordered two of them, because they show the plug/boot with the correct tabs to snap it into the floor. I informed Inline Tube that the one they are saying is for Chevelles is incorrect. Hopefully these people who are manufacturing these things will start to listen to the people who actually own these cars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That does look correct. Please let me know after you install it and see if the length is right. Thx

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That does look correct. Please let me know after you install it and see if the length is right. Thx
I just bought them to have on hand as spares. I may have an old one to compare it with, but if you read the description, it says that it is also for 68-72 Chevelle. It should fit just fine. I can't see them making multiple lengths of the cable that has the correct clips on it.

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received the cables today and they look good. I think they will work as they should. I don't know when I will install one, however...

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think your engine might run better if you remove that plastic - it will be able to breathe better. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nope that plastic keeps it FRESH! If I could I'd bag my engine and put some calcium chloride in the bottom to soak up the moisture...too bad it would dry out the seals though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts