Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I can't get to the track very often and can only get 2-3 runs when I do. This makes it hard to experiment on the same day with shift points but I have a couple questions.

1) on the street if I "short shift" at say 5200 I get a rather loud squawk from the tires whereas a 5600-6000 shift does not, would this be an indication the car would rather shift sooner?

2) on a say, 700r4 transmission, should each gear recieve the same shift or would it be more likely to pick up some time by shifting differently for the 2-3 as opposed to the 1-2

obviously I don't expect perfect info, but answers to these questions could help me use the time I get better

my best run was a tenth quicker when I shifted at 5600 (transmission actually shifted a bit later) but the next run that night didn't lose anything even though the shift was a couple hundred later

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Shifting sooner puts you closer to your torque peak so the tires break loose easier but you'll run slower because you are further from your hp peak. Nothing to gain by shifting a 400hp engine at 300hp. The ideal shift point will be somewhere beyond peak hp but just where that point is depends on how quickly your power drops once it reaches peak and also the spread in your gear ratios. Even though the engine may be past it's peak hp, it may still be putting more power down than it would at a lower rpm in the next gear. The only real way to know is trial and error.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts