Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about hooking up a shift light to a factory tach ?? I am running a MSD 6-Al with a HEI distributer..

Do I need to run some kind of a switch, or can it be hooked somehow to the MSD directly??

TIA,
Scott

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Scott, there should be a tach terminal on the end of the MSD box. Use that, and if you want a real speedo needle, shoot me a e-mail with your address and I'll send you one - no charge. I have a left over from a Chevy truck dash I bought for the tach.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, What tells the shift light to fire & at what RPM, if it is hooked directly to the MSD box??

Also, thanks for the offer on the needle, but I already reinstalled the dash, & really don't want to go through it again..

Scott

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Depends what brand of light you have. Most need a "box" and a plug in module to make them turn on when you want them to. Proform makes a stand alone light that has a dial to set the rpm's, and some lights are made to be used with MSD's programable ignitions. Do a search on the net for the brand and part # you have. You may be able to find the installation instructions and wiring diagram online.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
One more thing about shift lights. On some tach/shift light combos, if you disconect the battery you will need to reset your shift light. They must not have any memory other than what is retained by power from the battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Scott,

I have an MSD RPM Activated box that works great, uses MSD rpm chips for the light and it works flawlessly. $60 from Jegs and the part # is 8950. I know a lot of racers that use this as well and they all like it's funtion.
Hope this helps out!

John

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John, thats exactly what I need, I really don't even want to look at the tach when I drive, so I will run that, with my factory tach...

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts