Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have shaved door handles on my 67 Chevelle HT. I was home one day and I locked my keys inside my car which obviously has my transmitter for the door. All in all I ended up breaking my vent window to get back in. I then realized that the guy who I bought the car from never had this problem and that I definitely need to fix it. My question now, Emergency door entry kits for shaved doors. Which is the best ways to go about doing this? Anyone who has done it, or seen it done, can you please help me out. I would think the best place to mount a cable pull assembly would be inside the engine bay, but mine is completely chromed out and if i can help it would like to reduce an eye sore. So my question is what is the best way to do it, and mount it? I have done a search and I cannot find any posts that help me with this question. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rex: I normally run a hot wire from the battery to a hidden switch then to the solenoid. In the event of a lock out you can activate it from outside. The last one I did I ran a wire from the battery to a switch on a bumper brace, then through the firewall to the door pillar, and into the door shell. Did it on the passenger side ,people look for them on the driver side normally. I have also used a small keyed switch in the grille and a hidden key.
Skunk

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skunk22 I have thought about the hot wire idea. I think the better option for me would be the keyed entry inside the engine bay somewhere. Maybe Hide a key inside the the engine somewhere. Good idea thank you.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
I put a small button switch on the firewall, hardly noticable. Only had to use it one time, stopped at a gas station in the rain and as soon as I closed the door it hit me my keys were still in the ignition.

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
The 57 I am working on has an electrical hidden switch plus a cable. The cable follows the wires through the door, through the jamb and into the wheel well. It appears to be just another bolt but is held tight to the sheet metal with a spring behind the inner fender. Pulling it pops open the door in case of solenoid failure.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@DaleM the same thing happened to me. I was picking something up from the pick up pizza place and it was raining. I was so aggravated. lol. thanks for the input guys Im still in the air about the best option for me to do it. Im not to worried about the battery being dead because if it died and I couldnt open my door I would just get a new battery. I don't take her out after business hours and def not within a couple miles of a car store. hell most times you can get a jump so Im just looking for a way to open it whether it be a pull cable or an extra electric button. Also DaleM where did you hook that switch to for power? how did it interface with the solenoid?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts