Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my shift points and where to set it. My motor makes peak HP at 6200rpm. Should I shift at a little more then that, say 6400rpm, or at 6200rpm?

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
If your HP peak is at 6200 it will probably be 6800-7000.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Usually 300-500rpm above peak power BUT when you set your shift light set it 400-600rpm early, start at 600rpm early and go up +100rpm at a time, You always have to figure in driver delay, time to shift ETC

So if trying to shift at 7,600rpm we set our shift light to 7,200rpm but when racing in the night time {Dark} we set the shift light at 7,400rpm because you see the light quicker in the night time than day time, This is also why most people cut a better R/T in the night as they see the bulb quicker

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Start out at shifting at the peak HP RPM; once you have a good baseline, vary it up and down a couple hundred RPMs at a time and see what happens to your times. Different engines may want to be shifted different. If your gearing and tire size isn't "perfect", that will affect it too. Sometimes it's more important what your torque is at the RPM you'll be at in the gear you're going into, than what's going on at the RPM in the gear you're coming out of. The time slips will tell you what the right RPM is.

·
Registered
938 Posts
my 1/2 gear shift point is set at 5700. the recall tach says the shift actually happens at 6500. the 2/3 shift point is set at 6500 and shifts at 6800. you just have to fiddle with it to see what it likes. Dave

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
my 1/2 gear shift point is set at 5700. the recall tach says the shift actually happens at 6500. the 2/3 shift point is set at 6500 and shifts at 6800. you just have to fiddle with it to see what it likes. Dave
In the past i have forgot to set the light and pulled the lever at 8,000-8,400rpm as the engine revvs so darn quick up there, now i have a MSD light that takes a chip that you dont have to check time after time

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys...I never thought to factor in my reaction time in pulling the shifter. I will play with it when I finally get it to the track next month...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts