Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 Chevelle and would like to dump the belts in favor of a serpetine belt. The block is a stroked 350 from a 76 Suburban. Is there a setup in a junkyard I can use for the swap? I am trying to avoid paying aftermarket prices. I do not have A/C. Thanks in advance, Shaner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im not totally sure, but ive heard that if u take all the brackets and the water pump off of the s-10 truck 4.3 v-6's, it will fit. but u HAVE to take the water pump, cause its a reverse rotation and if u leave the normal one, it will overheat really fast. hope this does some help. Anyone else out there heard of this?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just got a ribbed belt set-up in a trade it came with alt /brackets, water pump and crank pulleys. This set-up uses standard waterpump and has provision for V-belt power steering and a/c. Sorry I can't tell ya what year/model but there is a stock set-up out there somewhere.
Harley

·
Registered
336 Posts
That setup sounds like my buddies 86 Blazer, not really a true serpentine setup, but easier to use. Has that fat 1" or so ribbed belt with one v belt for the PS/AC Cant remember if the fat belt ran over the ps pulley, can look later.
Around 87-88 up trucks or Caprices/Fbodies with small blocks and FI would have real serpentine belts with a tensioner etc, would probably need the whole bracket setup and water pump etc at least new alt pulley etc. Most of those had a air pump also.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
21 Posts
March Performance sells a kit for serpentine belt conversion for small blocks and big blocks.

------------------
67 Malibu 454/TH350
Team Chevelle Gold Member #97

·
Registered
423 Posts
If for any reason you use one of the "reverse spin" water pumps, make sure that you use a different fan or it will try pushing the air back out the front, and not pull it in.

Although I've never seen the S-10 V6 belt conversion done, I've heard (from people in the know) that it's one way to go.

As for the aftermarket pullys, make sure what type fan you can use and also if there is the indexing center point!

Other than looks, why bother. (I thought about doing it for quite some time) The only advantage that I can think of is not throwing belts, but then, I've never had any problem with the old V belts if every thing is aligned correct.

Another thing that I learned while talking to GM parts dealers is that the factory tensioning unit tends to break fairly often.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

G

·
Here's the (mostly) complete scoop on this wonderful mod. I took the complete accessory drive system off an 89 Suburban and transplanted it to my 83 ElCo's 383. This included the 130+ amp alternator and ac compressor.

The water pump, as has been pointed out, is a reverse rotation unit, but these are easy to come by. The problem is that the heater hoses route out of the intake and into the radiator on these trucks. That means you either have to have a heater hose bung soldered onto your existing radiator or find an aftermarket pump which has provisions for a heater hose nipple. The Autozone new pump for 89 350 Suburbans just happens to have a the tapped hole for mounting and solves the problem. It took me about a week of hunting to find this pump though!

Also remember to take the water neck from the donor truck, as the older-style water neck points directly at the alternator mount. I bent up a piece of welding rod and sweet-talked my NAPA guys into letting me check out their hose selection and found one that would work with a little trimming.

Since your car does not have AC, you will probably have to go to the dealership to buy the extra idler pully that takes the place of the compressor.

Good luck with this installation, and if you have questions feel free to write me.

Jay Duncan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.