Team Chevelle banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Chevelle SS396 Convertible
4 Posts
The warranty was three years or 36k miles what ever came first. So a 70 casted block can’t be under warranty
The Engine was a warranty replacement at some point, not necessarily this vehicle. However, the stamp in the starter mount shows "T090" indicating it was installed on the 9th month of 1970 (most likely under warranty replacement plan) from the Tonwanda Engine Plant, which was in Buffalo, NY. In 1970, GM marketed this engine as a 396 or as a Turbo-Jet 400.
With all that said, I have yet to find the VIN stamp on the block to verify or dispell the engine was installed in this car.

Knowing my (deceased) father-in-law I'm surprised it's even remotely close. So to find the engine is only 4 years newer than the body, blew me away. If I have any of the above information incorrect, please let me know.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Yes the engine was replaced but not under warranty

·
Registered
10 Posts
No modifications, new paint since it's theft. it was butternut yellow.
Numbers matching 396, although not a matching trans
The car used to be my fathers. He bought in good shape but with faded paint. He always meant to do some work to it but never got around to it. He left it to me when he passed. We started to fix it up for him because he was never able to. The main thing it needed was a new gas tank and a carb rebuild. We this found out after taking it to a carburetor shop for a tune. It was the reason my dad could never get any power out of the motor even though he was told it had maybe 20k on a rebuild. It dyno'd at 280HP after we got that fixed! I had it for about 9 months before it was stolen from us out of a secure gated garage . The thief bypassed a keypad buzzer to gain access taking advantage of the key hole the USPS would use to get access to the garage area and mailboxes. He then drove his truck into the garage parked next to the car and took his time to hot wire it. He and a pregnant accomplice drove away together. He in his truck and her in the Chevelle. It was all on camera. The detective in charge told us it was stolen by a professional car thief who they had arrested before. He was known for stealing cars then making temporary registration papers to put in the window that if an officer checked the numbers they would appear valid. They knew it was this guy because they had his face on several highway on and off ramp cameras. They had tracked him to a what the detective called a "den of thieves." The detective got word that it was set to be transported overseas. The "den of thieves" was set to be raided by SWAT, and evidently the detective was able to get word to the thief that the house was set to be raided and that he was already implicated in the theft of the car but that if he dumped it he might be able to not get his 3rd strike. We also contacted Jessie Jones who does new spots about things like this in the Seattle area. A person that saw the news spot called in said they thought the car was parked across the street from their house. It was we got it back. Since then we have multiple fail safes to stop someone from stealing the car again and gps trackers... we have been fixing it up more and more in honor of my dad. We just painted the engine. The engine bay is our next task. Love you Pops this car is for you!
(the butternut yellow pic is with dust from the police trying to get fingerprints but the car was wiped clean outside and doused with WD-40 all over inside )
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

21 - 24 of 24 Posts