Chevelles.com banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
The Wesley's Bleche White was good stuff, but the Bleche White now being sold no longer has Wesley's name on it. It has obviously been reformulated and nowhere near as good as the original.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
There is definitely something new going on with the browning of the white lettering on today's tires. Not to be confused with standard cleaning practices we all have used for years...NOT similar.
If you have not bought a set in the last year...you will be surprised how fast they brown out when you do buy new ones. (Providing the date codes show that they are recent manufactured tires. Warehouse tires a few years old won't have this problem.)

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I think it’s definitely a BFG manufacturing issue. When I ordered my from TireRack a few years ago, I received tires with different fonts? Bought a set a year later from a local tire dealership for my daughters corvette and had the same problem. Both sets were returned and fonts were matched.
Here’s the two fonts.
My new(2019 Dated) BFGs have the font in the right picture.
My old BFGs(1999 Dated) have the font in the left picture.
Notice the difference in the B.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I have the same issue with just my rear tires, which are a different size than the front. Not sure if that matters.

It's definitely a manufacturing problem and Coker and other dealers i'm sure know of this defect and should find out what is happening with the tires from BF Goodrich.

It has nothing to do with road dirt or rain or anything else. after sanding and cleaning the white, my car sat in my garage for about 5 days and before I took my car out, it looked like I had never cleaned them. Ever.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Just to add to the list of dissatisfied customers - ditto for my BFG's on my cars. The "white" letters are "brownish-yellow". No amount of cleaning keeps 'em white, and you can't really get 'em back to white anymore on mine.

BTW - all of mine (2015 dated on my car, 2018 dates on my wife's car) have the font in the picture on the left.

I have the same issue with just my rear tires, which are a different size than the front. Not sure if that matters.

It's definitely a manufacturing problem and Coker and other dealers i'm sure know of this defect and should find out what is happening with the tires from BF Goodrich.

It has nothing to do with road dirt or rain or anything else. after sanding and cleaning the white, my car sat in my garage for about 5 days and before I took my car out, it looked like I had never cleaned them. Ever.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
833 Posts
Same here, bought 4 at the same time In February 2020, fronts are 2019, rears are 2018 and bad white lettering.

·
Registered
25 Posts
they did this even years ago on my car. my solution was that every so many wash jobs i would use a S.O.S. pad that has the blue soap already on it and i would scrub the letters. worked pretty good but has always

been one of those never-ending maintenance jobs! lol!

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
This is not a new problem, when I worked in automotive 20+ years ago there were several products designed to either bleach the white on the tires or paint the white portion of the tires. They are both still available, one was Bleche-Wit and the other was named White Tire Paint, located next to them on the shelf were the products to paint your tires black.

Steve R
Man, I ruined a white vinyl top with that Bleche-White. Stupid kid move :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know the purpose of this thread isn’t about how to clean them but...
My father in law has bfg all terrains on his truck and t/a’s on his camaro. He rubs the letters with a river rock he’s had forever every time he washes them. Those letters are snow white!
On my motorcycle whitewalls, I use oven cleaner and a magic eraser and they stay really white between washes.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good to hear im not going crazy. I just put some new bfg’s in the back of my Camaro, and i keep looking at them thinking they look brown, and they dont have many miles on them, and it sits in a garage. I will tell you getting the blue dye off of them was a real chore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw this on another forum and it makes sense to me, as well as manufacturing changes in the tire composition.

The browing is a reaction of rubber and ozone. There's little you can do to prevent it. It's the same process that slowly degrades the black parts of your tires as well.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts