Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 72 El Camino 350/TH350 someone has replaced the dash with the "SS" gauge dash, after they had installed underdash gauges. I want to use the dash gauges. Is the oil pressure sender for the gauge different from the one for an idiot light? If so, anyone know the correct part number? Do the gauges go through the printed circuit, or are they wired direct to the senders?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
“Is the oil pressure sender for the gauge different from the one for an idiot light?”

Yes for an indicating light you use a switch that closes (grounds)on pressure drop. For an electrical pressure gauge the sender resistance decreases as pressure increases. I don’t have the part # for the switch but any parts store can look it up. If you want a Delco you can get it from a GM dealer.

“Do the gauges go through the printed circuit, or are they wired direct to the senders?”

The gauges are wired through the circuit card. Hopefully the installer used the correct dash harness for the gauges.

You will need a water temp sender also. The sender used for the aftermarket gauge is likely different than the one needed for the factory gauge.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ya'll will please excuse me if I'm plumb stupid, but having owned and installed several OEM gauge clusters, the only ones I've seen don't have an oil pressure gauge. The idiot light is still used albeit in the bottom of the tach face.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have an oil pressure gauge, plus the idiot light as you say on the bottom of the tach.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Help me out here...I may be about to learn something new. I just checked my car with the gauge cluster. It has tach w/oil light, speedo, amp, fuel, clock and temp gauge. No oil pressure gauge. It is identical to the others I've owned or installed. I wouldn't have installed an aftermarket oil gauge if I already had one...I don't think.

I've checked my 71 service manual. It makes no mention of an oil pressure gauge in the cluster. I've installed or owned clusters from 70, 71 and 72s. All were the same.

So, where am I going wrong here?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, neither of us is crazy. I have been at work and the '72 is at home, so over the weekend I checked it out. A previous owner has replaced what according to the manual should be the electric gauge with an oil
pressure gauge. It was a nice job and unless you look closely appears to be factory. It
doesn't work though, nor does the temp gauge which is in the normal location. I think I'll
have to look for a new instrument panel to get it back to original. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts