Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 gallon Harwood fuel cell in my 68SS. The fuel level gauge always reads half a tank (much to my dismay one evening), doesn't matter if it is empty (refer to previous note) or full. I have checked the wiring and it all looks good. The gauge is somewhat new. I disconnected the positive lead to the cell and the gauge jumped to a full tank, so I'm hoping the gauge is ok. I am running out of options, so I'm hoping it is the sending unit. My question is: how many ohms will the unit read with an empty tank and then a full tank? The tank has foam in it, so is it possible the foam shifted and has the unit stuck some how? I have never seen a sending unit, so I'm not sure how it works. thanks for any help...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think the sending unit is 0-90 ohms. So 1/2 tank would read 45 ohms. I dont know what range your gas gauge operates from? but I would bet they dont coincide. Good luck. I was debating wether to install an after market gauge in the trunk for my cell or attempt what you are doing. Just haven't researched it.

·
Super Moderator
12,848 Posts
Rob,
I do not see how a fuel sender could work in a foam filled fuel cell ? I have installed several guages in fuel cells but they have never had foam in them. The resistance (ohms) of the sender will depend on the brand fuel gauge that you have. I think the Autometer GM gauges read form 0 to 90 ohms but I am just going by memory. I will be at the shop on Saturday for a while and will try to remember and look.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not using a harwood but I did install a Triangle Engineering aluminum fuel cell 15gal with foam and a 0-90ohm sender in my 70 Elky and it worked good.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rob: I had a similar problem with a Harwood cell about 10 years ago. Take your sender out of the tank, and manually move the float from empty to full. Connect one end of your meter to the stud for the gauge wire, and another to the body of the sender for the ground, of course. You will probably get a strange reading from about 30 to 240 Ohms. This is a Chrysler style sender. The other guys are correct about the 0-90 Ohm reading being correct for a GM style fuel guage. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.