Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non AC 1971 Elky. The fan blower switch has only one mode...on. I think the mode is on low or medium. Moving the switch to other positions does not change the fan speed. Any suggestions where to begin looking at the problem?

Thanks in advance.

-stu

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
My switch had issues too. All I had was FULL ON, the fastest setting. to get that I had to "wiggle" the switch some. give that a shot as the contact in the switch itself may be worn down and no longer making a good connection.

Make sure you relay on the firewall side, passenger side top has +12 comming in through the biggest wires (usually orange) and it will have a fuse. This relay is what gets latched when you turn the motor swtich to FULL ON.

I think you can order just that switch. don't know for sure.

I removed that control unit and now just have a normal toggle switch. who runs their fan on low anywho? so much parasetic loss from poor connections you need HIGH SPEED just to get any kind of usable air flow.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Mike's right about the bad switch. If the fan is not turning off the switch internal slider block has broken. Time for a new switch. No relay under the hood for a non A/C car. Wire to the fan (orange) comes from the switch. Might be able to get a switch from Old Air Products. www.oldair.com

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will start playing with the switch and troubleshoot back to the orange wire.

-stu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts