Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of account do you have to receive your Pay Pal payments from Ebay? I have sold some items on Ebay but allways rceived payment through a personal check or money order. I am considering listing an item that would sell for approx $1,000.00. I would think for that price most buyers would want to use Pay Pal. If I do open a Pay Pal account to receive payment is it safe to use your personal checking account or do most set up a separate account just for Pay Pal? It really would be a waste as I rarely sell on Ebay and if so most items are $150.00 or less. In other words I might not use the Pay Pal again.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I've had a paypal account since it was new and have never had a problem. This allows you to transfer the money directly into your account. Takes about 3 days to clear, so depending on how long it takes you to get a check you won't be saving a whole lot of time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
don't forget you will be paying a 2 or 3% fee on the money you get for the sale...on big ticket items (like you are selling) this can add up fast!!!

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Just set up a BASIC acct through paypal.. that way you do not get charged a FEE for payments received.. as long as you make the payee aware to NOT send payment via CREDIT CARD... that is where the fee gets charged... as long as the payee is paying you from paypal and their acct. is set up through their checking acct. or they pay you via a Balance in their paypal acct. you won't get charged that FEE. A basic acct. sounds like just what you need.. someone who will not use paypal very often.

Oh, and Yes, set it up through either your checking or savings acct. or both. Not an issue IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had to pay a fee on every transaction no matter the method (must be because it's not be basic account); however, the checking account method takes time to clear and not many people carry a $1000 balance in their account...could be tough...just my .02

·
Gold Founding Member
3,080 Posts
I have a separate account at a bank other than my personal house and business accounts (they are separate too) for all my online transactions. Only keep enough in the account for current stuff I am buying. When I sell I keep $100 in paypal for those spur of the moment buys and dump the rest to the account. When the account goes over $300 the balance goes to our house savings. I have a debit card tied to that account for places that require a credit card to buy. My thought is that if that account ever gets compromised they can't get to my house or business accounts.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I've had an account since it was pretty new. I've never linked it to my bank accounts. I was basic until recently. I had to upgrade because someone used a credit card to pay for an auction and I figured I didn't mind paying the fee.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
I have had paypal and have had no issues as a buyer and only a couple transactions as a seller so I don't feel comfortable to say as a seller it as good. Be advised as a seller make sure you are dealing with honest folks (if that is possible). I had a transaction that turned out to be a fraudulent deal (I was the buyer).
Paypal would only cover the item up to $200 and the price of the item was above that. I had paid with my credit card and posted a dispute with them. My CC company reversed the transaction for the full amount. PP did not refile against me nor ding me on my PP account. Actually they refunded the $200 so I was up an extra $200 until they caught their mistake :D Took them about a week.
If you are worried about the fee, pad your price by 3%. Maybe if some one pays cash give them a 3% discount. Just don't mention you are adding 3 % if some one wants to pay via CC. That is something that Paypal doesn't allow. It's a rule from VISA etc that has been in the retail world for a long time or at least that's what I was told by a friend who owned a retail business. Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I have been using Paypal for about 8 years and have never had a problem. It is tied to my checking account. I have a Paypal debt card so I don't have to transfer the funds to my checking account. More people will be willing to bid on your auctions if they see you accept Paypal. I know of a lot of people that won't bid unless they can pay through Paypal. The link Dean posted above is to the Paypal Sucks site. Any company that does the amount of business that Paypal does is going to have a few problems. You don't hear about the million transactions that go through without a problem but let one person have a problem and it's all over the internet. Most of the time the problem could have been resolved if the person followed all the rules.
James

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I refuse to get a paypal account; Postal MO only! To me the risk is to high for me to feel ok with paypal....

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I should ask if anyone would shy away from purchasing an item if Pay Pal was not an option. The deal will be on the up and up on my part but I'm thinking for that amount the buyer would wonder if they were going to get taken and then wouldn't have Pay Pal to fall back on.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I guess I should ask if anyone would shy away from purchasing an item if Pay Pal was not an option. The deal will be on the up and up on my part but I'm thinking for that amount the buyer would wonder if they were going to get taken and then wouldn't have Pay Pal to fall back on.
I look for Paypal more to judge if the seller is on the up-n-up, also at their feedback scores. If they take Paypal, even if they have a -0- feedback, I'll still bid. Nice thing about taking Paypal, the buyer can pay instantly. I take Paypal, and most of my buyers pay that way, I'd say about 75% of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Depends on the price of the item...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've had paypal for several years. No problems. I don't like going after money orders but I suppose it would depend on the item whether I would bid on it. I would think a lot of potential buyers take it into consideration whether you have paypal or not.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've had paypal for several years. No problems. I don't like going after money orders but I suppose it would depend on the item whether I would bid on it. I would think a lot of potential buyers take it into consideration whether you have paypal or not.
many potential buyers don't want to be bothered with the time and bother to get a postal or other money order. In setting up pay pal set up another bank account to use for pay pal only. On a regular basis, shift funds recieved from sales into your regular account. That way if a west african or russian scammer or other scammer gets a hold of your pay pal #'s they cant suction out your bank account as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.