Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering selling my '67 Chevelle Maiibu. In my many years of car ownership I've never sold to a private buyer. I welcome all advice on the best and safest way to deal with a prospective buyer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pick a price and stick to it, lots of low ballers out there. Or if you have the time part it out, maybe make more on it but will take longer.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Parting out only brings more dollars on rusty hulks.

Unfortunately, if you did all the work listed in your signature, all the "investment" will not come back. If you bought the car that way, then you already know what it's worth. But, prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.

Did you check eBay for cars in similar condition? Craigslist? This will give you an idea.

Also, guys start drooling come spring time when good weather arrives.

·
Registered
216 Posts
X2 on selling in the spring.
I've sold many cars to private buyers. Price it high in case it sells. Someone is willing to pay your asking price. No test drives without cash in your hand, or, you drive, they ride. Meet somewhere other than your house if you don't want prying eyes in your garage. Only give an address to folks who are on their way. Don't sign the title until you have cash. If it's a cashiers check, be careful and go to the bank together and make sure it clears before signing title. If you are persnickety, it tends to keep scammers away. Do not list it on Craigslist if you don't want scam callers. I've never bought or sold a whole car on ebay but it may be worth looking in to if the fees don't kill you.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i myself would only take cash and make sure they know it.also silver is correct ride along and preferably drive.i had a 67 back in the 80's i only wanted 700 for it and let a guy test drive it.it came back with a big ol dent in the drivers door,told the guy either he buys it for what i wanted or he pays difference.i ended up getting my 700 out of it so he lucked out.but after that no solo test drives.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP here with an update.
I thought about all the advice so far, especially dealing with test drives, etc. On a whim I called the classic car dealer I bought the car from five years ago. I added up the original purchase price plus the extras I put into it and I came out ahead selling it back to the dealer. They'll have a quick flip with this one for sure. The more I thought about dealing with unknown indivuals the better I felt about selling it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
OP here with an update.
I thought about all the advice so far, especially dealing with test drives, etc. On a whim I called the classic car dealer I bought the car from five years ago. I added up the original purchase price plus the extras I put into it and I came out ahead selling it back to the dealer. They'll have a quick flip with this one for sure. The more I thought about dealing with unknown indivuals the better I felt about selling it back to the dealer.
Did it sell?

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Thats a great ending for sure how often does that happen...
I see it sold..but in general these days I open an account for a wire transfer or if its cash do it in the bank have them run it through their machine. No money orders or other methods.

I got taken last yr selling some weights...the 100's were counterfeight. I couldnt tell they were pretty good.
Didnt know til I went to pay for groceries...they took it called the mgr, thought I was going to jail

Cars like these....I drive they ride shotgun. If I get a good vibe from the guy and he actually has the $ I may let him take a turn. Rev limited at lowest setting lol.

Thought about selling my Silverado a number of yrs ago. Some kid shows up..doesnt even get it out of the driveway hammers on it jumps a curb with it. Tries hammering it again. I yelled WTF! Reached over yanked the key out of the ignition. " I just wanted to see what an LS feels like"...wanted to trade his just bought 4 banger pos that was financed.

Calls 2 weeks later with the "help me out bro" millenial begging bs...for payments, cheap selling price etc. He was dead serious. I am super patient but verbally ripped his nuts off. hate selling cars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts