Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CLASSIC 70 that I drive once a week or so and I have noticed coolant seeping from the thermostat area. I just replaced the top radiator hose about 2 months ago and is seems that it was seeping a bit then also. Haven't driven her since Sunday and there is fresh coolant on top of the engine. This is by no means a big leak, not reaching the ground. So, guess my question is, is it the thermostat leaking, or the heater hose? AND, if it is the thermostat leaking, what is this a sign of? Thanks in advance!!!!

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
70Chevelle350, The seeping you are describing is more than likely coming from the hose at the thermostat. After some heat/cool cycling, the hose gets what is called "heat set", that is ,the hose gets squeezed between the clamp and thermostat housing during the heat-up cycle and as the engine cools down, the t'stat housing contracts and after several of these cycles the hose takes a set because of being squeezed so many times. Tightening the clamp may take care of it. Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 12-29-1999).]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Waternecks are a BUGGER to keep from seeping. I finally had to use a gasket with the blue stuff to keep the coolant off of my intake.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.chevelles.com/showroom/Riffers70_1

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I've ran into this problem with older waternecks, they get pitted and just will not seal. Take the T-stat housing off and clean it up, and if there's any pitting, or the raised area on the bottom is gone, go to your favorite GM dealer and order part number 3877660, should set ya back about $17-$20 depending on how friendly your dealer is. Don't get a chrome one or you'll be right back in the same boat.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
A little tip I picked up from my mom in this area...spray the end of the thermostat neck with spray paint or hairspray, the hose will slip on easier during installation and once it drys it forms a VERY tight seal. I had done it with spray paint earlier in the week, and then we I went to take the topend off again today to have the heads done, it took a while to get the hose back off, it was sealed hardcore, yet with a little tug it came off.
Hope this helps....

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
My 65's Homepage
Team Chevelle Member #71

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.