Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely rebuilding my 66 front buckets (springs, foam, and covers) and have a question: On the original seats between the foam and the springs, GM used burlap with a series of stiff wires running through it perpendicular to the seat springs. I assume this was done to keep the springs from wearing out the foam. My originals are completely shot. What do the professionals use for this purpose today? Do they still use burlap and run their own wire through it, or do you use something altogether different?

Thank You in Advance,
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Scott, thanks for the reply. Unless someone knows of any new ways that are supposed to be better, I'll be doing the burlap and wire route. I'll have to figure out where to get some burlap, maybe an Agway (farm supplies) will have it.

Thanks again,
Tom

·
Registered
451 Posts
I picked up my burlap at the fabric store, people use it for all sorts of crafts so they stock it.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You 74Bowtie, I have a crafts store near me. I'll stop in and see what they have.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Tom,
I just did my seat out of my 66 this past summer.
I used the burlap, folded it over on the outside edges about 6 inches so it would be overlapped around the entire border.
I got my burlap from a cloth fabric sewing store.
I'm no exspert by no means but I did learn always slap the cover with the palm of your hand to get it to fit and dont just pull to much or you'l rip the seams.
Good luck. It's not hard once you have done one.
Just take you'r time.
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan, Thanks for the encouragement. I've recovered dozens of motorcycle seats, but we always used a staple gun to fasten them. Hog rings are definitely new to me. I took digital pictures as I dissassembled the original seats in case I get stuck.

Tom

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tom,I'm from the MA area (Hanover)and am doing 72 buckets. I have also taken some pics but don't think they'll help in the reconstruciton can you send yours? Also, the wires you mentioned, most of mine were rusted broken, I know they ran across the seat springs, what are you using instead or as a replacement? Thanks, Drew.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry. I have a 71 chevelle coupe that i'm redoing the interior in. I've reupolstered seats before on newer saabs. I just need to know how to remove the bucket seat backs off the frame.
The seat release button seems to be the only hold up, but i dont know for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an upholstery business ( mostly furniture) but I do occationally work on buckets and bench seats. You guys are on the right track with the burlap and it can be bought at most fabric stores...get the heaviest weight they sell.
There is no need to put the wire strips back on the seat though..'cause they are there in place of the burlap...(a factory speed trip)
Some upholsterers also use a piece of carpet or the old cover over the springs also for stiffness.
Anyway the theory is to keep the foam from getting chewed up by the spings...
Hope this helps
Later, 7T2SS

·
Registered
269 Posts
7T2SS... as an upholsterer for three years (high school)and one year after, I'm trying to remember (30 years or so ago) some of the trade. If I recall, couldn't I hand sew the burlap in place? Around some of the springs?
Is there a pattern as to where and how many hog rings are attached along the seat and back seams?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeh..Drew you can also hand stitch the burlap to the frame and springs. It's a little more time consuming than hog rings and hog rings will last alot longer.
I usually fold the burlap under the frame and then place the hog rings about 6 to 8 in. apart all around the edge of the seat frame.. I like to start on one side and then pull tight to the opposite side and attach there and then do the same on the front and then the back. All you want is a tight cover so that the springs won't eat into the foam.
If you are looking to firm up the seat then that is a different story.
Oh if you stitch..some heavy duty stitching twine.
Good Luck.
7T2SS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts