Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car handles good enough now I want to try some autocross racing this summer. About the only thing I really need to change is my seat belts.( Just have lap belts:( ) So ive been looking at 4 & 5 point harnesses. My car already has racing buckets with holes for the shoulder harnesses. Biggest problem i'm having is how to mount the shoulder harnesses. I dont have a roll cage so i'm thinking straight down to the floor behind the seats.:confused:
Anybody else running belts like this?

One option for Belts im looking at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car handles good enough now I want to try some autocross racing this summer. About the only thing I really need to change is my seat belts.( Just have lap belts:( ) So ive been looking at 4 & 5 point harnesses. My car already has racing buckets with holes for the shoulder harnesses. Biggest problem i'm having is how to mount the shoulder harnesses. I dont have a roll cage so i'm thinking straight down to the floor behind the seats.:confused:
Don't do this! In the event of an accident the straps going straight down will compress your spine. Very bad.

Look into three point belts or a harness bar which will put the harness in the proper location.

Here is a link from Schroth about mounting belts. Others will have something similar.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Don't do this! In the event of an accident the straps going straight down will compress your spine. Very bad.

Look into three point belts or a harness bar which will put the harness in the proper location.

Here is a link from Schroth about mounting belts. Others will have something similar.
Just out of curiosity....how would it compress your spine? I cant seem to visualize how it would do that. I'm curious because I was thinking about doing the same thing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing some research ive found this being said by quite a few people.
I'm thinking of adding a harness bar behind the seats. I'll just fab up something removable / bolt in.
But...If I ever roll the car while in this i'm screwed. The roof will cave in on my head and in a harness there's no place to go. So...
I'm toying with the idea of a custom cage but more likely i'll add the harness bar for this summer and only use it while autocrossing.
While street driving i'll stick with my lap belt.

Anybody every see a car roll in and autocross:confused::confused::confused:.

I'm about 2/3 years from a major reworking of my car. Then i'll add a cage but for now it's either.

Harness bar or trying to race in a lap belt...

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
Seat bolsters and a 3-point are all you really need for autocross.

I've used 5-pt harnesses, and hate them, especially if you have any tight 180deg turns where "looking ahead" means looking out the rear quarter window... they're just too restrictive for me. When I use a 5-pt, I usually cinch the bottom tight to hold me in the seat, and leave the shoulder straps loose so I can turn my shoulders.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Anybody every see a car roll in and autocross
no, and even if you did you would need a pretty significant roll. im more worried about rolling on a road course or wrapping it around a pole or a tree. its amazing the tiny cavities in a car that a body can seek out while the rest collapses around you. if youre stuck in the seat this cant happen.

Just out of curiosity....how would it compress your spine?
pretty easy. move forward in any car with a retractor reel and you will notice that you pull a little more belt. if the belt is mounted 90* off your shoulder, in an accident when you cant pull any more belt it will pull you backwards. if it goes off your shoulder and down it will try and pull your shoulders down, therefore compressing your spine. some seats are rated for the load and make this a non issue, but most are not and will collapse under the force.

im going to do both. harness bar for the track and 3 pts for the street. my 3 pts will mount right behind the top of the door. i dont like the looks of all the straps hanging down that the kits offer when they mount in the roof.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
some harnesses are designed to bolt the shoulder belts into the mouting points for the rear seatbelts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
What seats you running

that is going to matter more than the belts!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres my seat...

3A racing...mid grade -->to cheap racing seat?
Its not an alluminum racing bucket but should do fine for the racing im gonna do. Thinkin now I might even try with just my lap belt.

This will be just for fun. I will be the only muscle car(not for long) with a bunch of imports.
Racing against myself.

·
Registered
614 Posts
that seat will definatly get you in the game

give um heell
and take some video for youtube!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts