Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that 3 point seat belts became available late in '66. Since my headliner is in, but not finished, I was poking up around underneath it just above the door. I felt some extra metal there right near where the front and rear windows meet. Is this the place where the 3 point brackets can be mounted? I really want 3 point belts and I don't care for any of the aftermarket set ups I have seen. Anybody out there with a '66 or '67 with factory 3 point belts have any pix? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I'm not aware of any 66 with factory 3-points.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,274 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Option A85--Shoulder harness-- entered production March, 1966 and was available on all Chevelle models. 119 - 1966 Chevelles were ordered with option A85.:yes:

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,274 Posts
Option A85--Shoulder harness-- entered production March, 1966 and was available on all Chevelle models. 119 - 1966 Chevelles were ordered with option A85.:yes:
Good to know; thanks! Bet there ain't many of those 119 left.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Would that apply to the Elkies as well??
When I removed the interior of mine (66) I noticed 3 drilled & tapped holes in the sailpanel.
I was thinking that would be a decent anchor for a shoulder harness.

But then---I located a set of blue seatbelts for a 69 (bench)

(hijack warning)

Is there a difference in the bench belts vs the bucket belts???

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That applied to all 66 chevelle body types including elcaminos. Post a pic of the attaching point in the elcamino for folks to see the location.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I ave never seen a 66 with the shoulder harness option personally.

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
Considering 119 reported sold by GM out of 447,364 Chevelles I can believe it; that's only .026% (0.0026...). Considering that late model year introduction and, according to another Chevelle option list, they required A39 Deluxe front & rear belts as well and those were only in 28% of 66 Chevelles. Ref: http://www.chevellestuff.com/1966/options_by_model.htm

Just something for my own research:
1. What plant is your car from?
2. What's the body assembly date?
3. If the date is sometime before February, is there a small hole next to the lower left rivet on the tag?

You can PM me with the information if you like.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That applied to all 66 chevelle body types including elcaminos. Post a pic of the attaching point in the elcamino for folks to see the location.
Okay--here ya go
late 66 Elky 2nd week July---Fremont

Now----is there a difference between bucket seat belts and bench belts.
I ask 'cause I only see bucket sets in the catalogs (repro)

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure there were no 3-point belts actually installed in '66's. However, the later '66's did have provisions for 3-pointers. See post 5 in this thread:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1773714#post1773714

... and check out this thread:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187474

If you are lucky, you have a later car that has the provision for shoulder belts like this:
Looks like we have visited this issue before? I guess my memory is going already. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check more closely tomorrow for mounting holes.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked my car out today. My car was made in October, 4th week. I have some holes but they don't look like the picture posted by Davewho1. I am wondering if the sheet metal can be reinforced to support mounting brackets for 3 point belts? Do ya think it would be strong enough? I can't telll by Davewho1's picture, but is there extra metal there or just some holes to mount brackets?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts