Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I soaked some overnight in a bucket full of Simple Green and water as hot as I could get it. Switched out the water the next day, and on the third day, wove then into a fence and pressure washed with clear water. I hung them to dry and they were like new! It was amazing how much gunk was in the bucket after the first day!

·
Premium Member
1971 SS 454 Coupe, 1971 Mailbu Convertible
108 Posts
I always run mine thru the dishwasher, (wife's permission of course!) Does a really nice job of cleaning the webbing and the buckles.

Gary

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All; thanks for the tips! As for the dishwasher method, I think my wife would put me there! I guess I'll go with the Simple Green in the bucket method then powerwash! But thanks Gary!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Shout it out works great. Get the small Gel bottle applicator and just coat the whole belt with it. Let is sit overnight and then soak it in mild detergent and hot water the next day for a few hours. The longer the better, You will be surprised at how much dirt comes out of those things, even the black ones!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I put mine in a bucket of warm water with liquid laundry detergent. I let them sit for about an hour (the longer the better) then swooshed around a little then rinsed real well with clean warm water. I had a couple of stains and used some Shout before I put them in the bucket. I then dried them the best I could with a towel and laid them flat on the counter to dry overnight. I have light green seat belts and they came out like new. I went with laundry detergent because I felt if it's gentle on your clothes it will work on the belts without removing the die. It worked great. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Soaking mine now too,med.blue in wisk.Been about 5 hours wouldn't belive how much dirt is coming out of them.Are y'all soaking the buckles with them or leaving them out.I'm doing about 3/4 of the belts then pull the otherside out from the buckle so it doesn't get in the water,thought it might start to rust.Have them in the kitchen sink,I'm single I can do that.Thanks for the idea's do do this they didn't look that dirty.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys and gals! Once again, this site has proved valuable! Used clothes detergent, Woolite and color safe bleach. Soaked for an hour, rinsed and hung to dry. One down, 9 to go!

See my next questions though!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
A bucket with a cup of Biz bleach (small blue box)in warm water for about 12 hours. Swish around every few hours then rinse completely. Will NOT fade or effect the color at all. Gets all the grease, grime and dirt out. They will look like new.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Remove belts from car.
Fill bucket with scalding hot water.
Add high quality car wash soap.
Soak belts for a while (not long enough for H20 to get cold).
Using a soft bristle brush, scrub each belt from end to end, front and back.
If they're at all dirty you'll need to change the water 1 - 2 times in the process.
After each belt is scrubbed, rinse with hose and lay it out in the sun to dry.
This is an important step. If you just set it aside to dry, it'll end up very stiff
If you use the sun to dry it, the belt becomes nice and soft and it brings the color back.
For the buckles, I used high pressure air to clean the water out of the mechanism.
If you don't have a compressor, use your vacuum in reverse. I keep an old cannister electrolux in my shop for this purpose. Using the crevice tool, the pressure is perfect - and you can use it as a leaf blower to boot!

I found this at
http://firstgenfirebird.org/firebird/FAQ/interior/seat_belts.html

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I took mine apart and took the belt out of the buckle. Used a tooth brush and some soap on the plastic and button and used a dremel and polishing compound on metal parts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,773 Posts
I do 'em in the laundry sink with dish washing soap and warm water. I disassemble the buckles first. Let 'em soak a while then scrub the straps with a plastic bristle brush on both sides. Then rinse two or three times. On ones I really want to look nice I then use a pot of Rit dye to dye them in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.