Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a picture of my restored original deluxe seat belts, from my 69 El Camino. The deluxe belts have a smaller buckle than the standard belts.

Question:confused:... The chrome clip (seen in the pic) that screws to the side of the console, is for the larger standard buckle. The deluxe seat belts won't fit over the clip.

I can't believe GM built the interior/seat belts, that won't fit over the clip. Anyone have a original set-up like this (buckets/console/deluxe belts) that can shed some light on this?

There has to be a smaller storage clip for deluxe belts, that fits the holes in an original 69 console??

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Bill, I ran into the same problem a few years ago on my Chevelle when I did a bench to bucket swap, the concensus at the time was the small deluxe buckles were for bench seat applications (Driver and passenger only). The other four sets of the deluxe buckles in the car were larger size, so that all made sense. I think it was Bill Pritchard and I that were discussing it?

I have not seen a smaller console clip?

Edit I think this was the thread that prompted my discussion with Bill. It's regarding 70 deluxe belts http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117041&highlight=deluxe+belts

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe with Chevelles Jeff but I don't think so with El Camino's. I have a build sheet that shows deluxe belts with buckets, with console. I'm 100% sure these belts are original to the Elky. They were date coded, and just as disgusting as the rest of the pile of junk. All 4 (shoulder/lap) buckles, and male ends have the smaller style belt ends.

Someone approached me at CB09, with the same problem, and he got his Elky from his father, who was the original owner. He said they were never able to use the console clips. Maybe thats why they changed them in 1970, to the pocket type. They would hold any size buckles.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Maybe with Chevelles Jeff but I don't think so with El Camino's. I have a build sheet that shows deluxe belts with buckets, with console. I'm 100% sure these belts are original to the Elky. They were date coded, and just as disgusting as the rest of the pile of junk. All 4 (shoulder/lap) buckles, and male ends have the smaller style belt ends.

Someone approached me at CB09, with the same problem, and he got his Elky from his father, who was the original owner. He said they were never able to use the console clips. Maybe thats why they changed them in 1970, to the pocket type. They would hold any size buckles.

I know it's not a '69, but I had an all original '72 elcamino w/ 25k miles which I bought in '74 with factory buckets, console, NK4 wheel, really loaded, and it had factory color coded belts (saddle) and deluxe buckles (small bright trim) in it. I really don't recall the holders but I think that they may have been black plastic?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

I don't doubt it Bill, I imagine the same situation arose in a Chevelle given those same options. Must have been your typical engineering conundrum....one guy designed the buckle and the guy on the other side of the room designed the clip without comparing notes. l:)

I guess the real question is why two different size buckles on the deluxe belts?
I don't think standard belts have two sizes? Not 100% on that though.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Mine are all the same size except for one of the front passengers. I just clip the belt for the shoulder to the console, and leave the other (small buckle non adjustable) laying across the seat. Probably doesn't help you but, that's what I did. Deluxe belts also. Boy do those belts sure look nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts