Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I've used Clear hard plastic gaskets for door and trunk locks.
Maybe you think I'm crazy, but I feel they were easyer to clean around and
stayed put better than the soft rubber ones. If anyone knows a sorce for these please mention, Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
I just did the same thing. I like the clear ones better. Let me check with my vendor, not sure how I got mine. They may have came with my lock set.

Ray

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Ed, I was in an office store, and saw these thin clear plactic/rubbery mats, for desk tops, that you set a computer on. I made plastic washers out of that material, to put under the steel washers in places like the door strikers, anywhere fender bolts were up against paint, etc.

You can get plastic like that, and make your own door handle gaskets, using the rubber ones as a pattern. Then you can trim them to the exact size you want, so they don't stick out past the chrome as far.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
they guy who restored my locks and keys gave me a bunch of them.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so far, I see the clear ones from random vendors lock kits, but they don't sell the gaskets separatly. In my case I have the complete lock kit allready, but don't want to use the black junk they came with.......I'll find them!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am I missing something here? Did clear gaskets come originally on the cars?
I realize that the clear ones are not original, but I'm sure most of you have struggled with the soft rubber ones at one piont? The clear ones don't move,dry-out or hold wax like the others. Like most of us here, we overbuild our cars. I'm sure you would use an item if it appears similar, but functions better ?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
You can still buy the correct ones from GM for change, they fit and are the right size :)

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
You can still buy the correct ones from GM for change, they fit and are the right size :)
I have original gaskets that came with a set of used door handles I picked up recently. The real GM gaskets are much better than the repro's. They are the right shape, and they're also thicker, so they stay in place. But they do collect wax. I trim them back with scissors, so they don't hang out past the chrome as much.

Do you have a part number for them Jim? When I go to the dealer looking for 40 year old car parts, they tell me the comp doesn't go that far back. If I know the part number, I just get them thru GM parts Direct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts