Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a seam sealer that can be put in caulk gun. Doing a bunch of seams under the car. Is there any brands non automotive that would work & save me some money.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have used 3M fast and firm p/n 08505 for years with great results. It has excellent flow out and if you need to flatten it a little thinner with an acid brush works nicely. I get it from a local supplier for about $17 a tube. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Joe, I don't do "factory correct" seam sealing, but I use it most places where metal overlaps that could come in contact with water.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Alot of guys are using liquid nails,,
Doesnt seam sealer need to retain some flexibility to be effective, not crack, etc?

I didnt think something as rigid as liquid nails would work well, guess thats a more permanent type seam seal?

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
I would advise to stay away from anything not sold as automotive seam sealer. There is a certain sticker shock when buying the good stuff, 3M, fusor or the like, but you'll get over that.

Jerry

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would advise to stay away from anything not sold as automotive seam sealer. There is a certain sticker shock when buying the good stuff, 3M, fusor or the like, but you'll get over that.

Jerry
yes X2

·
Registered
38 Posts
fusor 802 ez is my fave

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
You can restore your entire car and operate a business without ever purchasing one product from Eastwood. I may receive remarks for this observation but it is a fact.
Scott,

Don't take this disrespectfully, but other than their pricing structure, and claims here regarding their pirating of other's products, inventions, what is the issue? I can see where some would have a problem about their pricing- on "some" products- but living 5 miles from their store, I visit there often and I buy from their discount/return rack, frequently.

Among other restoration supplies, I've bought 2 quarts of brushable seam sealer @ $5.00 a quart, and the only problem was a dented can. It's not a jobber's store, for sure, but in addition, their website provides DIY support for many facets of rebuild/repair/refinish for those who are intimidated with trying resto work. I feel their presence adds to our hobby, so I support them with my business- whether it's the discount rack, or something back in the stockroom, that I paid retail price for- like the hog rings I needed just last week. Perhaps it's just the convenience, but they will continue to get my business.

Auto body and resto work is not my line of work, but I'm not afraid to tackle ANY portion of the frame off rebuild of my Chevelle, so I guess I'm in the middle of this scale of Professional/newbie.

Just my humble opinion, and another point of view.

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
Scott,

Don't take this disrespectfully, but other than their pricing structure, and claims here regarding their pirating of other's products, inventions, what is the issue?.
No not at all. I say this so other people will know there are other options, even other on-line suppliers. Other parts of the nation can't walk into an Eastwood like some can. I've noticed that many don't even know what a jobber is unfortunately. Bodyshops buy their supplies from them. Just like people in other fields buy products from their suppliers. Like lumber, plumbing, roofing and electrical warehouses, etc. Which I do whenever possible as opposed to box stores. Whatever works for you.:)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You can restore your entire car and operate a business without ever purchasing one product from Eastwood. I may receive remarks for this observation but it is a fact.
How many years in the business did it take you to figure that out:confused:
Bodyshops also get a big discount from jobbers, check their prices on your invoice sometime for the average Joe off the street. I'm guessing Eastwoods prices are fair and lots of info from people who have used their products. If a particular product doesn't work I can agree with spreading the word, but to constantly slam a company is beyond me. Jusy my opinion;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been getting SEM 2 part seam sealer from my local jobber. It seems to be a very good seam sealer so far but you do need a special gun for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts